IB accredidation worth the $$?

travelinfamily

IB accredidation worth the $$?

Post by travelinfamily »

I've been teaching for 3 years internationally in an American based standard curriculum school. I'd like to move to an IB school next, but am wondering if I should take a years worth of college credit to get IB certified first? I'm a primary teacher with a MAT in Elem Ed from the US.
shadowjack

Re: IB accredidation worth the $$?

Post by shadowjack »

Better to find a job with a PYP school. Just make sure you are really into inquiry based learning, as that is the foundation of the IB at the PYP and MYP levels.
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

I've never heard of a university program that would grant you certification in the PYP. Schools would still consider you lacking in PYP experience even with this under your belt. Better to just read up on the PYP, maybe take an online workshop/course through the IB, and then go into an interview ready to "talk the talk" about the PYP. If you can talk confidently about inquiry-based learning in an interview & give examples from your classroom, you will probably be fine, as long as you are not too picky about location. If you are hoping to land your first IB job in, say, western Europe or Japan, you will either have to be very very lucky or know someone on the inside.
travelinfamily

Post by travelinfamily »

Great advice. Thanks! I'm looking to stay in SE Asia at this time.