Substitute Teaching at International Schools

Climberman

Substitute Teaching at International Schools

Post by Climberman »

Does anyone know any companies/organizations that place teachers as short/long term substitute teachers at various international schools? This might be a good way to get a foot in the door.

Thanks for any help.
heyteach

Re: Substitute Teaching at International Schools

Post by heyteach »

They are often referred to as "supply teachers," and there are several placement organizations (do a quick search on the term). If you're not already qualified or experienced I doubt you'll find any work through them. A friend has done a lengthy gig every year since she retired.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

While living in Shanghai, I was the trailing spouse, popping out babies and not able to work full time. So, I subbed at a couple of the international schools, needed a degree but no teaching cert required, and it was a fab way to make a bit of pocket money. They paid around 125USD/day. Here in Malaysia, the pay for subbing sucks so I'm not interested.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Our school (China) finds people with native level English skills (so usually foreigners) living locally to substitute/supply teach. Also trailing spouses end up working doing this too with or without teaching credentials. The pay is in the neighborhood of USD200/day. They prefer credential teachers, but have taken people with bachelor degrees and experience working with young people. Usually it's trailing spouses, English teachers, or parents of students who don't work that work as subs.

A number of trailing spouses who are credentialed as teachers have been hired on full-time after doing this kind of thing. Some have had less than the 2 years experience that the school asks for requires when hiring from overseas. One current teacher, who was not a trailing spouse, worked as a substitute for a few years before being hired for a full-time position.

So if you are already living overseas it can be a way to get your foot in the door. The issue is that you are generally considered a local hire so your pay and benefits are often not as good as folks hired from overseas.

I haven't heard of any companies working with international schools in the area to find substitute teachers. It may happen, but I think it's unlikely given the visa regulations here.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Hi-
I semi-retired from teaching at 61 while in Singapore. I say "semi-retired", because I ended up teaching full time up until the age of 66 in Egypt, Jordan, and Vietnam, and they were at good international schools.

I joined a group called "international supply teachers" that fills positions in international schools from 3 months to a whole year. The web address is as follows: http://teachersonthemove.com/ They have an interview process, and so they get qualified teachers. Unfortunately, even though I've received at least two or three possibilities from this group, every year since leaving my school in Singapore, the short term positions I've gotten have been on my own from schools that needed an emergency replacement.

You might consider the "International Supply Teachers" for getting your foot in the door.

Regards,
Rob