Resume for newbie teacher?!?

MedellinHeel

Resume for newbie teacher?!?

Post by MedellinHeel »

Wanting to get some opinions on this. I will be a newb teacher with zero post cert experience.

Few questions.

1) What is the best resume template to use?

2) What to do about the lack of exp or more how to fluff it up if possible?

3) Taught ESL in Asia, do I even mention that?

This resume is gonna look pure poverty lol smh

Thanks in advance for the advice or suggestions.
lemonlily

Re: Resume for newbie teacher?!?

Post by lemonlily »

I would have it like this.

Education
Certification
Student Teaching Experience
Related Exp or Professional exp(this would be where you would put your ESL work)
Professional Development (if you have any? fluff this, that's what I have done)
Curriculum Exp (list the curriculums you've used)
References

Student Teaching Exp: I had two placements in 2 diff grade levels so I listed them sep. (I've been teaching 2.5yrs now) Under each, have 3-4 bulleted points about things that you did above and beyond the typical teaching job description. For Ex. I had -Integrated visual and performing arts into core lessons - Designed clear lessons for a class of over 70% English Language learners -Planned and implemented lessons with the incorporation of smart boards and document cameras -any after school work you did etc etc

Prof Dev: Did you participate in any PLC meetings, LT meetings? Did you go to any trainings are your placement school? etc etc

Curriculum Exp: Here I list the curriculums I have exp with. Everyday Math, Readers/Writers workshop etc

I also have a small picture in the left corner of the front page.

Help?
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

oh also, you could list any volunteer work you have done as a sep category.

Tutoring? Child care work? you could put that under related exp.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Good suggestions!

Keep them coming people!

Thanks!
marieh

Post by marieh »

My resume layout is similar to Lemonlily's, although I chose to highlight my experience instead of my education, solely because I don't have a B.Ed. That said, my first category was Relevant Experience, where I chronologically listed all of my classroom positions, to include my year of student teaching and my time in ESL. I found that this helped my interviewers to see my progression in the field and, and a few commented that they were pleased to see that I had experience managing my own classroom. For each of my positions. I also had 3-4 bullet points detailing my notable responsibilities and any measurable difference I had on student scores for tests like the IELTS and SAT. Like lemonlily said, make sure to focus on things that go "above and beyond" and not just your basic responsibilities. I also included curriculum info in this section.

I followed this with Education and Certification. For the latter, I made sure to mention exactly where I was in the certification process, including the fact that my final license would not be fully processed by the FLDOE until July. This was something I felt was important to point out, since some countries have stricter visa requirements than others.

If you do have Professional Development experience, list that next, and finish everything with a Reference section.

Regarding the layout, I used a heavily modified version of the following LaTeX template:
http://www.latextemplates.com/template/ ... ulum-vitae

The standard templates in Microsoft Word and IWork are also fine, however. Whichever one you use, make sure it is clean, simple, and that you include a small photo of yourself on the first page. I would shy away from anything creative or fancy for now.

Hope that helps!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

I begin with personal details, then education, then related skills, then experience, finally references. I also have a photo on it - many places want a photo.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Personal details like what? What do you mean by references? You mean full attached LOR or simply their contact detail?
marieh

Post by marieh »

My personal details include my nationality, marital status, and birth date. References is just their name, title, place of work, phone number and email (3 people).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Personal details = contact details, including phone number, address, and professional email. I don't put a birth date on my CV. By references, I put the details (name, position, phone number and email) for 3 and add that more are available upon request.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Do references have to be in the education field?
marieh

Post by marieh »

References are generally in their own category at the end of the resume. If you need someone to take a look at yours, let me know. I'm not a pro, but i am (in my opinion) a good editor of these sorts of things.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

No I meant can you have references from people in different fields other than education.

Not literally in the education section of the resume.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Ah, sorry. Those in the education field are preferred, obviously, but other professionals would also work. For example, I completed a one year internship as a dive instructor and put my supervisor down as a reference. If you have coteachers, principals, or heads of school, that would be better though.
Rye

Post by Rye »

I don't have references on my CV this time, but I usually do. I printed " additional information and references available upon request" on it and attach it as a separate file when I email it in with the CV. I just like to keep documents small and not "busy", complete personal perference.

As for the number I have 3 educational and one personal, I tried to vary them so I have one teacher, one admin, and one board member. Try to keep them as recent as you can. I was lucky to know people that went into each of these fields so I could just grab one from them, as well as some chucklehead friend from NASA who looks good on there.

Educational References are the best, obviously, but any supervisor would be good for a start.

The order of my resume is
- Availability/Personal Information/Photo
- Work Experience
- Education
- Teaching Certifications
- Job related experience
- Job Related Training
- References
Ocalmy

Post by Ocalmy »

I think it's best to put your education and certification first. You want them to know immediately that you meet the minimum requirements. Think about how many applications internationals school must receive from people who lack the proper certifications/credentials. Save them the trouble of searching for it on your resume. Once they see that you're certified, have a B.Ed./M.A.T. whatever it is, then they can look carefully at your skills, work experience, etc.

My graduate advisor gave me this advice in January… I found a job at an accredited international school in March. Just like you I had EFL experience in Asia, but no post-certification experience. Good luck!