Resume for newbie teacher?!?

MedellinHeel

Re: Resume for newbie teacher?!?

Post by MedellinHeel »

So you listed your ESL experience?
Ocalmy

Post by Ocalmy »

@MedellinHeel-- I certainly did. I understand that EFL work is stigmatized in the international school world, but honestly, why should I leave out three years of experience writing lesson plans, delivering instruction, planning summer/winter camps, grading homework, communicating with parents, getting along with faculty, etc.? ---And ALL of it in a foreign country!

At least full time EFL work experience puts you ahead of newly certified teachers who've never lived abroad and only worked at Wendy's. Figure out which EFL skills are directly transferable to teaching your subject area and emphasize those in your bullet points. For example, differentiating instruction for diverse learners, using technology to deliver instruction, tailoring lessons to fit students' interests and learning styles…
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

About adding EFL/ESL experience: more and more schools these days seem to be admitting local students which means a high percentage of those students will be ELLs. I think training and experience in teaching EFL is an asset. Be sure to also focus on the lesson planning aspect of it too.

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com/