Had my interview. It didn't go well.

benj009

Had my interview. It didn't go well.

Post by benj009 »

I had my interview tonight with SMIC Private School. My experience teaching at a Korean hagwon is going to be difficult to overcome. The interviewer thought that I worked at a real international school. It's one of those schools that is international in name only. It's an academy. I guess who was thrown for a loop.

How can I overcome this issue? I have my teaching certification. I just need two years of real teaching experience. It's very difficult to get into a school back home. If there happens to be an opening for a teaching position, you can bet that the school received 300 applications.

Any suggestions?
Last edited by benj009 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eion_padraig

Re: I may have an interview tomorrow...

Post by eion_padraig »

A company school that is used to attract foreign talent to the semi-conductor company. International education on the cheap, which impacts both teachers and students.The company is run by a evangelical Taiwanese American. The people both the school and the company hire seem to be impacted by this fact. They have a Chinese track and an English track, so I wonder which kids the job would have you work with.

I'd be asking about benefits and housing. They were abysmal in the past. I'm guessing the area around the school is well developed now. It's not too far from Zhang Jiang Gao Ke subway stop.

Third tier to be sure. This is a real international school, but it's not a whole lot better than private Chinese high schools running a foreign curriculum. It gets your foot in the door to the IS circuit.
benj009

Re: I may have an interview tomorrow...

Post by benj009 »

eion_padraig,

Thank you for the information. I have read a few reviews on the school and I have mixed feelings. I'm lacking IS experience so I might accept the position if I am offered a contract. I will make sure to ask about the housing and benefits.

If anybody has anything else to contribute it would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Ben
jessiejames

Re: Had my interview. It didn't go well.

Post by jessiejames »

I am sorry to hear the interview didn't go as planned. If you are looking for experience, have you considered an Intern application with Search? I know it is probably not ideal, but it sounds as if it might suit your situation: 'Intern positions are available for graduating seniors and recent college graduates who wish to spend an academic year working in an international school. Intern candidates may have teaching certification/qualifications and some teaching experience, but are not required to do so. Internships are paid positions with the same benefits given to teaching candidates, such as housing, round trip airfare and more. '
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

Look for 3rd tiers that are IB in not so desirable locations. Lots of places in China hire first year teachers. Try Changchun American. It's freezing cold in the winter but they do IB and have awesome students (I used to work there). Or try the Middle East, or any country ending in -stan.
Rye

Post by Rye »

A friend is elementary admin and he is having issues filling spots here in the US so there are jobs out there, just be prepared to take something that isn't ideal for your first posting. I can tell you my first two years were...interesting...for sure.

Sorry the interview wasn't ideal, but every experience is a chance to learn. Keep trying, you'll find something.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

Come to Detroit, we hire everyone! If you can teach in Detroit Public Schools for two years, you can teach anywhere...
benj009

Post by benj009 »

jessiejames wrote:
> I am sorry to hear the interview didn't go as planned. If you are looking
> for experience, have you considered an Intern application with Search? I
> know it is probably not ideal, but it sounds as if it might suit your
> situation: 'Intern positions are available for graduating seniors and
> recent college graduates who wish to spend an academic year working in an
> international school. Intern candidates may have teaching
> certification/qualifications and some teaching experience, but are not
> required to do so. Internships are paid positions with the same benefits
> given to teaching candidates, such as housing, round trip airfare and more.
> '

That would be great, but I'm not a recent graduate. I graduated from college 10 years ago. If I was a recent grad I would work as an intern. It is a great chance to gain experience.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Sorry to hear about that. I'd say look for Chinese private schools running an international curriculum. There are places that will take you. Keep looking. Don't lose hope.
marieh

Post by marieh »

I second what durianfan says about expanding your search to remote/less desirable locations. I also had hagwon experience only and did my student teaching at a bilingual school instead of a true IS. As you can imagine, schools in the better locations weren't interested, but my luck improved considerably once I started searching for job in more dangerous/questionable countries.
ChinaTeach

Post by ChinaTeach »

I doubt SMIC would be a very good place to get experience in China.Have a look at the website. A website is a dead give away on the type of school SMIC is (Chinese). If you can wait during the next few months openings will come up at real international schools with international native speaking students.

Teachers often back out of contracts at the last minute.Patience is the key to a successful position overseas,and that you will be proud to put on your resume.

Relax
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

As others have said you have to expand your search to tier 3 schools in less desirable locations.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Hi Benj,

Did you hear back from SMIC? Over the last year, I've talked to a couple of teachers who work there. They don't seem to be too negative about it. For a first international school job, I think it would be pretty good gig. Most people really like shanghai.

Others have mention that getting IB experience will benefit you professionally. I would make that my first priority.
benj009

Post by benj009 »

nikkor wrote:
> Hi Benj,
>
> Did you hear back from SMIC? Over the last year, I've talked to a couple
> of teachers who work there. They don't seem to be too negative about it.
> For a first international school job, I think it would be pretty good gig.
> Most people really like shanghai.
>
> Others have mention that getting IB experience will benefit you
> professionally. I would make that my first priority.

Hello Nikkor,

I haven't heard back from SMIC yet. She was a little put off by the fact that the bulk of my teaching experience was done at an academy. She was also put off when I told her that the phonics classes in the academy were done by the Korean teachers. The foreigners were stuck with Open Court Reading which I thought was inappropriate for children whose native language was not English. I remember teaching Thomas Jefferson to 5-year old Korean students. I constantly had to go back and modify my lessons, because they didn't understand the material.

I'm not expecting to get the job, but I am staying positive. She told me that she needs to speak with her supervisors, and she will let me know within a week. It's been 5 days so far. If she wanted to hire me, my guess is she would have gotten back to me now, or she would have offered me a contract during our Skype interview. I don't know if I want the job to be honest. The job looks difficult. If I got the job I'm going to teach thirty 6-year old Chinese children in one room. I am not going to have an aide as well. How do you conduct an effective ESL classroom with 30 children who don't speak English? It seems like a night mare.

I will keep you guys updated.
durianfan

Post by durianfan »

^30 in one room is nothing. Most Chinese public schools have over 100 students in one room.