Advice

return

Advice

Post by return »

My goal is to teach at an international school this coming academic year. I am approaching my 2nd year as an elementary school teacher with no IB experience. I really want to teach abroad but am unsure what countries or schools I should look into. I want to be realistic in my search. Are there any schools or countries you would recommend me looking into? Thank you for your assistance.
newchapter

Re: Advice

Post by newchapter »

This coming academic year as in 2014-2015? It's not over but it's a little late in the game. I would venture to say most of the better schools did their hiring in December and wrapped it up by the end of January. Sign up with Search Associates. There are still some job fairs but the pickins' might be slim. Things do open up even at 'better' schools as people sometimes drop out of their contracts for various reasons.

This is my first foray into international teaching. I started the process last August and landed a really great job. What I've learned is to start early...don't limit yourself/cast a wide net...take every interview (you can always say 'no') 'cause you never know where it will lead. I interviewed with a school I wasn't 100% interested in but it led me to a top tier fantastic job that I'm so excited about!
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

id suggest looking into different countries / cultures that would interest you. Also, do you want to save a lot of money? Some countries pay more than others.

Its all relative and up to you.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Europe - Pros: quality air and water, great place to raise kids, good beer, lots of green spaces and of course, travel

Cons: no housing, high taxes (you can save more in Bulgaria, Poland, and Switzerland, though) and kids tuition is taxable

East and south-east asia - Pros: Solid savings if you work at a tier 1 school (in China, Thailand, Malaysia, or Japan); free housing, decent travel opportunities, friendly locals

Cons: pollution, traffic, poor disaster management, and political uncertainty (in countries like Thailand)

Middle-east - Pros: good savings, free furnished housing, great travel opportunities to Europe and asia

Cons: compound life, insular local culture, political uncertainty in some countries which can turn quite violet within hours / days

Africa - Pros: nature & adventure, just okay savings, friendly locals, bush meat (if you like it) and exotic music

Con: high crime rate (exceptions: Namibia, Ethiopia, Eritrea)
return

Post by return »

newchapter:

Yes, I am hoping for a position this 2014-15. I have already sent out a few applications with no real success. Thank you very much for your advice. I hope you will have an amazing experience abroad. Congrats.

MedellinHeel:

I am trying to be open minded in my search. I would like to save some but it is not my ultimate concern.

fine dude:

Thank you so much for all of your information. There are so many different directions to go. That is one of the most challenging parts. All of them have enough pros they could be attractive to me. I will have to sift through all of you information. Thank you again.
Rye

Post by Rye »

It is late to get a posting for this year, but that in no way means you shouldn't try. It all comes down to what are you willing to put up with for how much money. It is kind of likely you'll end up in some place you never considered, so just keep your wants and needs in mind when you do talk to schools.

Keep sending out applications to places - even the ones that don't top your list. Keep us posted!
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I teach second grade at a small school called Escuela Las Morochas in Venezuela. I'm pretty sure they haven't filled my position yet. I know they post on TIEOnline.com. I love my school and the students are the best I've ever worked with, I just want to move to a bigger city. I'm staying in Venezuela but it is also not the safest place in the world right now. Pros and cons to everything I guess. At least it would be a place to get your foot into the world of international teaching.

Good luck with your applications!

-Amanda at http://teachingwanderlust.com