Future

jmods

Future

Post by jmods »

Hi,

Looking for some advice. Im currently working internationally. This is my first post overseas, I have 2 years experience back home and I am currently in my first year of a two year contract. Its still early days but I am already thinking of what to do when my contract ends as I would like to move on.

Im going to get married in the summer and was wondering what the best approach would be when looking for my next post. My future wife speaks good English but its not her mother tongue. She has a degree and a teaching qualification from her country of origin (Europe). She has QTS certification from the UK. Problem is she has limited teaching experience.

What would the best approach be when applying for positions? Ideally we would like to try and get her a job at a school as well, even if its only as a TA....

If anyone has any advice, comments, etc we would greatly appreciate any input.

Thank you.
sid

Re: Future

Post by sid »

If, when you say 'good English', you mean fully professionally fluent, here's my answer:
Do not look for or accept TA positions. This would almost certainly lock her into the TA world forever, as she would never get the full-on teaching experience that is required by so many schools. And the longer she worked as a TA, the tougher it would be to break through.
You may have difficulty finding positions for her as a full teacher as she doesn't have much experience. Fair enough, but you can try, and try hard. Get all her ducks in a row, great-looking CV, practice those interview skills, read up on current educational trends etc. Get your ducks together too - the better you look, the greater the chances they'll take a chance on your wife.
If you cannot find an out and out teaching position for her, she can work as a sub when you get to whatever country. (She could do that now, too, which might be a good idea.) As she proves herself in that way, the school will become more likely to hire her for the next available post.
If she's not fully fluent, start there. Crack that nut before going any further.
Good luck.
sid

Post by sid »

And oh yeah, my standard advice. Consider staying longer than the two year contract. It's excellent for your career, and much easier on your life not to be moving all the time. It might even be easier for your wife to get hired where you are currently known and respected, than to try in a new country.
If someone has a couple of 2 year stints in their career, no big deal. But if they have several, and particularly several in a row, the better schools will not want to hire them. You've already got 2 in a row, back home and now at your first international post, with no longer stints anywhere to show that you've got sticking power. If you do move on after this contract, make sure you give excellent explanations of why in your cover letter or interview (without bad mouthing your schools), and then make sure that you stay at the next post for at least 3-5 years.
jmods

Post by jmods »

Thanks very useful info!!