student teaching and the school's reputation

jayhawk

student teaching and the school's reputation

Post by jayhawk »

Hi again,

I am hoping to gain some better insight into this. How important is the school's reputation when it comes to choosing a place to do one's student teaching? Would any IB school suffice for an aspiring IB teacher? Would a more reputable non-IB school be better than an infamous IB one? Other considerations?

Thanks!
MedellinHeel

Re: student teaching and the school's reputation

Post by MedellinHeel »

means little in the grand scheme of things imo.

who even lists the school where they did student teaching?

with that said though, try to student teach at an IB school over a non IB school. make connections, exposure to curriculum, etc.
National

Post by National »

I think being able to get IB experience during student teaching would look good on a resume, but I don't think many quality schools would let a student teacher take over an IB DP class -- there is too much at stake for the kids to allow someone without experience both in teaching and IB to be in charge. If you are shooting for MYP, then you could probably find some good schools that would take you on for student teaching.

With this in mind, I think a reputable school whether IB or not, might be a better goal. You'd make some good contacts and these can make or break a new teacher -- knowing someone who can put a word in for you will help you get a foot in the door where you otherwise would be just a name in a stack of resumes.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

National wrote:
> I think being able to get IB experience during student teaching would look
> good on a resume, but I don't think many quality schools would let a
> student teacher take over an IB DP class -- there is too much at stake for
> the kids to allow someone without experience both in teaching and IB to be
> in charge. If you are shooting for MYP, then you could probably find some
> good schools that would take you on for student teaching.
>
> With this in mind, I think a reputable school whether IB or not, might be a
> better goal. You'd make some good contacts and these can make or break a
> new teacher -- knowing someone who can put a word in for you will help you
> get a foot in the door where you otherwise would be just a name in a stack
> of resumes.

I've never even heard of someone putting their student teaching on a resume.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

When I graduated from university and applied for my first teaching post, I definitely put my student teaching on my CV, as well as the important bits of my 16 years of work history.

So if someone has done an international practicum and that is the only teaching experience they have, they might be very interested in using it.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@jayhawk
Student teaching can be placed at the bottom / top of your CV (depending on the format) and you can list briefly some significant contributions relating to curriculum mapping, classroom management, or even collaborating with a strong mentor, who can actually be a great reference later on.

Student teaching at an IB school can always be a plus. With the new DP (Grades 11 and 12) syllabus being introduced from August this year, getting hands-on experience in designing / grading internal assessment / coursework can be quite valuable. If you do an awesome job overall, do get a reference from the school.

The Department of College Advancement at the Dover Campus of UWCSEA, Singapore, offers 6-month internships. If you can get one, you can talk to them about the possibility of completing your teaching practicum here. If you can impress these guys with your work, it shouldn't hurt your CV.
Last edited by fine dude on Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rye

Post by Rye »

I know I get annoyed when the applications request my student teaching experience. After your first job it really makes no difference anyway.

However, for someone with no teaching experience, this would be something to consider. Whether or not it is "better" than a regular student teaching experience I am not sure. I can't really see it tipping any scales though. But with how competitive it is getting out there every bit helps, I suppose.

If you can get it, go for it. Why not?
National

Post by National »

MedellinHeel wrote:
>
> I've never even heard of someone putting their student teaching on a resume.

As others have said, if you have no teaching experience of course you put your student teaching on your resume. With multiple jobs under my belt now, I don't include it anymore, but I did use it to get my first job. I'm curious to know what you did include on your resume before you had any full time teaching experience.
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

Thank you for the responses. I think this more or less confirms what I was thinking. IB would be great, but isn't necessary. It is news to hear about a potential conflict in letting the student teacher take over the classroom, but it makes sense.

@ fine dude, I visited the UWCSEA website but couldn't find any information about this internship you mentioned. If it isn't too much trouble, could you provide a link?

Thanks again.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@jayhawk
Email them at alumni@uwcsea.edu.sg mentioning about your interest in internships at the Department of College Advancement or UWCSEA foundation.
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

fine dude,

Thanks! I've emailed them and requested more information. It looks like an awesome place to learn/work.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@jayhawk
If you don't get an early response, you could alternatively email this (Welsh) gentleman, Geraint Jones, at staffing@uwcsea.edu.sg.
jayhawk

Post by jayhawk »

fine dude,

Thanks again. I got a response. Apparently they do have admin internships but it isn't clear yet if there may be other opportunities for me. They said they had forwarded my email to another person for consideration. They seem like great people.