Work Visa requirements/process

Manumanu

Work Visa requirements/process

Post by Manumanu »

My first international assignment so I am overwhelmed, nervous, and worried.

Now that I have signed a contract for Kuwait, I am shocked with the work visa requirements. I had no idea all that was required and it seems like a puzzle since everything is new to me. I just started by getting diplomas authenticated as a first step and I am hoping to get my work visa before August which is where I am expect to report to work. I figured out what I need to do with authentications, but still need to learn more about medical, visa application, and background checks. I got my doctor certificate, but still need my blood test results. When I called clinics in my area, the tests seem to be costly and the clinic staff said they need more specifics so they can give me the right test.

Any tips would be appreciated.

I have couple of questions for those who been teaching overseas for a while.
Is this lengthy confusing process normal for all counties, or just the Middle East? If that is the case, how do you do it every two years?

Once I complete the authentications, can I reuse them for my next assignment, after the 2 year contract is over? I am aware that medical examination and background checks expire quickly.

What kind of help is expected from the school? It seems like getting my visa is my problem unless I risk going on a visitor and then the school will take care of obtaining my work visa after I arrive. I was advised against this!
lemonlily

Re: Work Visa requirements/process

Post by lemonlily »

I don't want to burst your bubble.....but do you have your work permit from your school yet?

You can't get your medical done until you have received your work permit because the date on your medical has to be after the date of your work permit.

I will tell you that the visa process for Kuwait was probably the single most stressful time of my life!! I hated it!

For authentications, you will need to get it redone for each country to you go to. If you remember, when you filled out the paper work it asked you which country they will be used for. So next time, you will need to do it again for the next country.

I am sure there are some countries that are worse and some countries that are much much easier.

The school should be giving you some guidance. I received the steps, etc from my school. If you feel like PMing me your email, I could try to find those docs and forward them to you.

But like I said, you shouldn't be doing anything untli you receive your work permit from your school. It should be couriered to you. And march seems much to early for that... We didn't get ours til late June.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Some places are easier than others, but I'm afraid that most countries require a great deal of paperwork. Getting qualifications apostilled, medicals, police reports and other stuff is regularly required. No, you cannot use what you have for one country a few years later because many of the documents are time sensitive.
The stuff we needed for our next post was tedious but do-able, mainly because the HR department of our new school are incredibly efficient. Often, the inefficiencies of the office staff of your school can add to the difficulties by supplying conflicting information - sometimes it's their fault and sometimes it is simply the crappiness of the bureaucracies they have to deal with. We sent information sometimes three times to our current school when we joined and they simply lost it. This was the fault of one inefficient person who has long since been replaced by a really super man who totally nails his job.
Our latest round of medicals cost us nearly $3,200, only approximately half of this is reimbursable. This is because of the rip off prices where we live now.

Just write a list and keep chipping away at it. Email the school to clarify. Save all your receipts. Ask to be put in touch with other incoming staff and staff who joined the school this year, and share information about the best way to do things. Watch this forum for country-specific advice, such as lemonlily's, which is very valuable.

This is one of the downsides of working internationally - you have to be ready for the multiple idiocies of this process.

One thing that we always do is keep a folder of good quality colour scans of every document we have: Marriage cert., teaching certs., birth certificates etc etc. Anything that you have to mail, scan first and save (such as medical results,) don't trust the post - stump up for DHL for sensitive or hard to replace stuff and see if the school will reimburse. Do everything as early as you can as sometimes there is a "cascade" of things that rely on one initial document. Pay attention to stuff like police reports that are only valid within a certain time (usually less than 6 months old.) If you are in face to face situations with officials, without being adversarial, take copious notes and clarify everything and write it down.

Grin and bear it, I'm afraid.
Micky

Post by Micky »

I disagree with the above two posters regarding authentications of documents. I am in my third country with the same authentications for my documents. Of course this doesn't include medical checks and background checks but the rest should be fine. Mine were authenticated by the US Embassy and fitted on the original with a brass rivet. Never had any issues since that at any of the places I have been too.

Good Luck
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

I think it depends on the countries requirements. I applied for a job in the UAE and they said it would have to be re-certified. Some countries may require that the date on the stamp is after the date of work permit or hire.

Also, I think technically by law, it probably should not be used in another country, since you have filled out a government document stating which country you will use it in and only one country was allowed to be listed.
sid

Post by sid »

Ride the roller coaster. This too shall pass.
One magical day all the items will be taken care of and you'll be the happy owner of a residence permit, driver's license, car, apartment, etc. How nice that will feel.
Once in possession of said items, keep them. The OP mentioned moving on after 2 years, but honestly I can't recommend it, for many many reasons. Staying longer is better for your happiness, social life, career, finances... And it reduces the number of times you'll have to do the residence permit paperwork hustle.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Except, Sid, that it will be in Kuwait... 'nuff said!
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

shadowjack, I was going to say just that! 2yrs is most definitely enough. I don't know if I will even make it one year....struggling.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Thanks for the tips.

I am hoping to complete everything by July. The problem is the time consuming steps and feeling helpless. Can't send my degree to the dep of state until it is authenticated by the secretary of state (I have two documents). That means waiting for mail and their process. I am doing all I can.
I found that USPS to be not only cheaper but faster. The only problem is tracking documents on the way back.
For medical examinations, can I get them form different clinics or they all have to come from one clinic? Some places offer free certain blood test but not all.

My x-ray was taken two weeks ago, I can't see how that can expire so fast, especially when it will be included in a letter from my doctor dated sometimes in June.

Thanks again.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

By the way, does Kuwait employers hold your passport so you can't leave the country?

Also, what does a school absolutely need to get you the work permit? I understand they need your original authenticated of your bachelors and masters degree, and copy of passport, but do they need both degrees for that or just one?
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I spoke to HR about this. Apparently the school HR holds the passport while they are processing your paperwork. This is standard practice and happened to me in other middle eastern countries. If an emergency arises, and you have to go home--you can get your passport back ( according to HR-I have no proof of this but I hvae no reason to not believe them)