Is it hopeless to follow an ESOL career?

karinada

Is it hopeless to follow an ESOL career?

Post by karinada »

Hello all,

I have been reading these forums lately and there seems to be a very negative attitude towards ESOL/EFL teachers and that essentially any experience in this field is worthless.

This is quite disheartening for me, as I love teaching ESOL and am currently completing a state (k-12) certification. I also plan to do a post-graduate certificate in learning support, and if life and finances allow me to I would love to do a Master in Educational Psychology.

Basically, I want to know about my employment prospects. Is it a good idea to combine ESOL with learning support? Are these positions paid less than classroom teaching positions? Are ESOL teachers always viewed as somehow less valuable within the international school context? How necessary is it to speak the home language if you are working in an int'l school?

Thanks for your help and hopefully reassurance that I won't be totally unemployable with this path...
Bij Bam

Re: Is it hopeless to follow an ESOL career?

Post by Bij Bam »

I wouldn't know about the payment, but at least on Joyjobs I regularly see ads for ESL teachers at international schools.

IMO, it's always a good idea to have more than one iron in the fire - like your learning support and educational psychology. The more you have to offer, the more likely it'll be that a school would be interested in hiring you.

Speaking the language of the country might or might not be seen as an advantage, I think. But to be as open as possible about where you want to go, that'd be a problem anyway. Tying yourself down to one country or one L1 is never a good idea...
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I am happy that you 'love' teaching ESL and ESOL...if you love something you will be great at it. That speaks volumes. The bottom line is, that most countries with Int'l schools are degree happy. The more degrees that can back up your CV, the better.
By learning support to do you mean 'Resource Teacher"? If so--they get paid the same as classroom teachers. You will need Special Education qualifications for that. ( or equivalent).
Doing what you love is never 'hopeless" in my opinion....:)
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

A lot of the negativity that you see on this site is aimed at teaching English in a non-traditional school setting with a certificate that is not earned at a college/university and does not qualify as a K-12 teaching certificate. The ELL/ESL certificate that you would earn (I am assuming) as a state certification is different, and would enable you to teach in international schools, many of which have ESL positions. Adding a Special Ed certification would not hurt, as many of the ways to accommodate moderate learning disabilities are the same ways that one would accommodate English Language Learners. However, it is not absolutely necessary in order to gain a position at an IS.

I would argue that following the path of something that you love is far from hopeless.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I think ESOL can be a great career, especially with the right training. I just blogged about this a couple of weeks ago: http://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/03/0 ... al-school/
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

What a lot of the dialogue is on these boards concerning ESOL/ESL/ELL/EAL is this. People get a CELTA or TESOL. They go and teach in Japan, teach in Korea, teach in Thailand, teach in the Middle East.

Then they realize that they want to teach at a "real" school. So they apply to international schools. Then they wonder why they never hear back, or get a polite, "Thanks but no thanks."

If you want to teach ESL at international schools, get an education certification or degree. Not a CELTA, not a TESOL, but a real teaching certificate issued by state or provincial authorities.

As someone posted, "I see these jobs on Joyjobs all the time."

Honestly, as an experienced international teacher, Joyjobs is the LAST place I look for jobs, because the schools I want to teach at would never in a hundred years advertise there. Some might argue that I am missing out on great opportunities; however, "Thanks, but no thanks."

If you want to really go international, get your teacher certification, then join TIEonline. Go to the UNI fair, or the Queens fair or the CIS fair. Then, after doing your two years, join Search Associates, or ISS (international school services).

It sounds like you are getting certified by your state and that is the way to go. However, once certified, get two years experience and then start looking internationally. Avoid going the hagwon route because that experience won't be considered as 'teaching' by schools.

Finally, good luck!
buffalofan

Post by buffalofan »

Big difference between teaching ESL cowboy style (without a real certification at a language school or unaccredited schools) and teaching ESL in a legit school with a state certification in ESL. With experience in the latter, you will be fine, but keep in mind that some international schools simply don't offer ESL services. Doing the former IS hopeless and a complete dead end career-wise.
Bij Bam

Post by Bij Bam »

Quote:
"Honestly, as an experienced international teacher, Joyjobs is the LAST place I look for jobs, because the schools I want to teach at would never in a hundred years advertise there. Some might argue that I am missing out on great opportunities; however, "Thanks, but no thanks."
If you want to really go international, get your teacher certification, then join TIEonline. Go to the UNI fair, or the Queens fair or the CIS fair. Then, after doing your two years, join Search Associates, or ISS (international school services)."

Um... this may sound awfully ignorant, but what's the difference between one website collecting job ads and another? What makes TIEonline (which I had never heard of until I came here last week) so much better than Joyjobs or TES?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Joyjobs is one step above DavesESLcafe, which is set up mainly for non-certified teachers. TIEonline is not a place for ESL teachers, but a site for certified western-trained teachers.

I have known about joyjobs for years, but have always chosen to go TIEonline and SEARCH to avoid the ESL jobs that clog the site.

Very very few teachers I know of (and I have been teaching internationally for years) know about or use Joyjobs. Lots of ESL teachers I have met on my travels are quite familiar with both joyjobs and daveseslcafe.
sid

Post by sid »

One needs a slightly more specific question than "What makes TIEonline (which I had never heard of until I came here last week) so much better than Joyjobs or TES?". Better at what, or for whom?
I wouldn't say one is inherently a better website, though website designers might have an opinion on that one.
But I would say that TIEonline and TES are much better for certified, experienced teachers looking for jobs in accredited international schools. This includes but is not limited to certified, experienced ESL teachers. And Joyjobs and Dave's are better for non-certified teachers, in particular ESL teachers, looking for jobs in other types of schools and language schools.
Anyone can use any site, but if your profile and goal are in sync, your chances of success are higher.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

I think comparing websites for jobs doesn't make much sense. They are just a means, not the end.

If you really aim at an established and accredited school, do your research online and bookmark the school websites URLs. Then design school-specific cover letters and CVs over the summer. Beginning september / October, start emailing them to the right contact person, be it school head or HR director. If possible, re-send an inquiry asking about the fate of your application to the same people, say after a few weeks. Nothing wrong with sending gentle reminders to the busiest people in schools.

Make a list of interview FAQs and have solid responses, especially relating to differentiation, classroom management, and tech integration. Ask real questions about class sizes, preps, PD opportunities, and possible job options for your trailing spouse, if you have one.

And before you ink your signature on that contract, make sure you have real clarity about both your gross and net compensation, hidden taxes, housing options, and the possibility of free tuition for kids and the taxes associated with it.

Finally, never, ever assume anything. Ask questions and get real answers. It's just a school job, not a position at the White House.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

The EAL teacher in my school doesn't receive the full benefits (flights home etc.) that other foreign teachers do who work in our IB programmes.
sid

Post by sid »

Is that because they are an ESL teacher, or because they are a local hire? Even if the person is a foreigner, they might still be local hire if they were already in the country when they applied.
exnewyorker

Post by exnewyorker »

As many people here have stated, the distinction is between a) someone with certificate in TESOL/CELTA/EFL, and b) someone with a bachelor's and/or master's in ESL/TESOL. If you have the degree + certification + classroom experience in a school you will do fine and there are many jobs out there for you. I have my master's in TESOL and had 5 years experience in a classroom in the U.S. before going abroad and I had no problem getting a good job. The pay SHOULD be the same as any other teacher. If not, you might want to consider not working at that school.

If you are in situation (a) as stated above then no, you aren't going to be able to get a job at a good international school. If you are in situation (b) you will do fine.