not being paid...

fke

not being paid...

Post by fke »

Hello all! So, I am wondering what my options are. I am working at a small international school in Europe. I have been paid late continually (4-5 weeks late). Now, they are withholding part of my pay since I didn't complete an administrative duty (not grades) on time in their opinion. I am amazed they can do this. I know I probably need a lawyer just to learn my rights as a foreigner. But, it is the EU...so I feel like I must have some rights here. Does anyone have any advice. And yes, in general, this is a school that doesn't seem to care about their reputation--at least with international teachers.
teller

Re: not being paid...

Post by teller »

Sorry to hear that you're not being paid; PLEASE make sure you write an appropriate review on the paid section of this site so that other teachers will know to stay away from the school come recruitment time.

We'll need some additional information in order to help you along:

Are you the only teacher not being paid on time? Are other colleagues in the same boat?

How long have you worked at the school? I understand that EU countries have some pretty strong labor laws, but they may be only applicable when one has earned tenure or worked at a school for a number of years (this is mainly conjecture on my part--hopefully other forum members can shed some light on this).

What does your contract say in regard to withholding pay for not completing duties? In my experience most contracts are purposely vague in many areas which allow a school lots of flexibility in "interpretation." Your contract may be similar.

Have you spoken personally with the administration about why you are not being paid on time (you said they were 4-5 weeks late and this has been continual)? What reasons have they given you?

If you do not believe their reasons are satisfactory, then I think you should consult a labor lawyer. You really don't have much to lose and I would be very surprised if you decided to renew your contract based on your experiences.

Again, so sorry to hear about your predicament. Good luck and keep us posted.