8 Years IB MAth HL and SL No interviews?!

Climberman

Re: 8 Years IB MAth HL and SL No interviews?!

Post by Climberman »

Aragon
I sent you a PM. Thanks for the information.
Briz

Post by Briz »

If you are a search member, talk to your associate. They can review your references and tell you if that might be your sticking point. It is in their interest for you to get hired. I have seen some very horrible math teachers keep their jobs because there simply was no one else to sit in that chair. It is not easy for many schools to fill those positions! If you are open, there is surely a job out there! Also think about using a recruiter, there are a few good ones out there!
gibwise

Post by gibwise »

I know my current school is still looking for an IB Maths teacher. Good school, Hard location. It may be worth reapplying to some schools that passed before as they may be willing to overlook whatever disqualified you before at this point in the season.
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

Aragon,
Thanks again.

Briz,
Thank you for your advice.

Gibwise,
Can you send me a PM and tell me the school? If not, I'll understand.

Thanks again to all for your help. This is truly a great site.
Rye

Post by Rye »

Sounds like the positions are out there so it really is looking to be a resume issue. I would definitely ask your recruiter since somehow there is a fault between who you really are, and who you appear to be on paper.

Hopefully one of these positions pans out and you get the posting you would like.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

im gonna be a new math (middle grades) teacher with no experience or relevant degree. if you can't get hired than there is certainly no hope for me! lol

hopefully a miracle happens.
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

Yea Dash, I would get an elementary license too. Strictly middle school math is quite limiting.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Have you tried googling your name? You could have some slander online or an evil namesake
Climberman

Post by Climberman »

Mathman,
Yes, I googled my name. Noting to note.
klooste

Post by klooste »

Could it be, possibly, that you are overqualified? I mean, with your expertise, a school is going to have to start you at a very very high salary.

Just my two cents (don't mean to cause offense).
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

klooste, the good schools have a transparent pay scale and it is shared with staff. "Too expensive" is not something you encounter at those schools.
klooste

Post by klooste »

shadowjack wrote:
> klooste, the good schools have a transparent pay scale and it is shared
> with staff. "Too expensive" is not something you encounter at
> those schools.

What do you mean by a transparent pay scale?
HereThereEverywhere

Post by HereThereEverywhere »

Shadowjack, it means they will publish this information online and/or to all potential staff members. You know what you are walking into prior to ever having a real offer.
klooste

Post by klooste »

HereThereEverywhere wrote:
> Shadowjack, it means they will publish this information online and/or to
> all potential staff members. You know what you are walking into prior to
> ever having a real offer.

Ok. I get it, thanks! =) But I fail to see how this transparency has to do with the possibility of being overqualified for a job. After all, many schools are businesses. I'm not sure about the American Sector, but in Canada, public schools are paid by the student. Some international schools also run like a business, and at the end of the day, education is just another business. The students/parents have the power, because they are the paying customers (I hope this opinion doesn't spark debate)...And if a student is coded (with cognitive, or physical impairments), the school makes more money. From a business perspective it seems there is a possibility that you may be too qualified to shift to a new location (unless your school offers an exchange program?) I say this because I think an employer would rather hire a teacher who has less experience, simply for salary reasons. Plus there is the possibility of your age, and retirement.. I mean you've been in the field for 16 years! Thats a lot of time.

I think the core of the issue here is that you have 16 years experience-- now whether that experience is consistent (IE: did you spend 8 years teaching Math at the same school)? And moreover, I think you need to ask yourself this question: when do I plan to settle in a school? In other words, when (if ever) are you going to accept you will teach in a particular institution until retirement? Personally, once I hit 16 years experience, that experience will be generated from one school-- the school I will be spending the rest of my life in. My gravestone will be in that school (wherever that is). I guess that's just me though-- feel free to disagree.