Best salary/package in the world?

fine dude

Re: Best salary/package in the world?

Post by fine dude »

South-east and east asia is the place to be, not just for savings, but for some very motivated, parent-fearing, and diligent students. Thailand and Singapore still remain the go-to places for experienced educators. The only downside is humidity.

With so much craziness around us, Switzerland might well be the safest place even in the event of a full-blown nuclear war.
pairadocs

Re: Reply

Post by pairadocs »

> The outrageous cost of goods and services substantially decreases lot of
> that discretionary income.
>
> Combo meal McDs $20
> Milk (Gallon) $8
> Mobile (/month, 1 line) $200
> Movie Ticket $17
> Pair of Jeans $125
>
> Its the transitioning 45 minutes though a conflict area of Africa to get to
> the Safari park thats the issue.

@PsyGuy
I cannot resist. For one who claims to value objectivity and authenticity of data I am simply stunned. Our students are held to higher standards when considering the reliability and currency of their sources. Surely you are not basing all of your facts and figures on numbeo.com? You do realize that the only Angolan McDonalds is in the USA. My monthly expenditures here in Luanda are now down to $500/month. Rest assured we all look forward to your next installment from here in the conflict zone. Now where did I leave those damn pom poms?
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

I've heard some rumors that might be worth sharing here. I've heard of a teacher at HKIS who got the highest review on the merit pay scale, and did all the extra coaching, etc, and makes over usd 200k. Plus, a friend of a friend at Singapore American makes about 120k per year. In China, IS Beijing, WAB, Shanghai American School and Concordia pay up into the 90s. Taipei American, SFS, ISKL, JIS and ISM all have excellent packages, but fall a bit behind the schools in China. Maybe that's not a bad thing, since you receive an air quality trade off.
Ozymnds24

Post by Ozymnds24 »

Here here @pairadocs!

@PsyGuy, you are doing little to persuade people here on the ISR forums by simply repeating your mantra of "Switzerland is better than Angola / Angola is not a desirable package" without providing some specific, objective (and factually accurate) evidence. Also interesting to note that you feel "Name calling and social labeling is not data and doesnt make it any less valid", yet "Admin cheerleader" is a label you are very keen to throw around as your main justification for dismissing anything people write about Angola that you disagree with.

As it stands, your argument for rejecting comments about LIS Angola being a desirable place to work, with good savings potential, is based on:

1) Your factually inaccurate assertion that Angola is a warzone
2) Your factually inaccurate (and likely plagiarised) cost of living statistics
3) Your subjective view that I am an "Admin cheerleader", which invalidates my Luanda International School review
4) Your subjective view that any review supporting my review is also written by an "Admin cheerleader" (or by me using another account!)

I have to echo @pairadocs to finish. If you value objectivity and authenticity of data, then please stop posting about Luanda International School and Angola, a subject you have clearly demonstrated you know nothing about, and please post something useful about working in Switzerland. Some ideas might include: specifics on tax levels / cost of living / school packages & benefits / statistics for overall savings potential in each school there. That way at least you will have provided some useful contributions to the discussion, that future ISR readers might find helpful!
OzGrad

Post by OzGrad »

Switzerland would be a much better place to live than Angola.

No research or studies required, just common sense.
joanveronica

Post by joanveronica »

@nikkor,

Good to hear about Concordia Shanghai--I just spent 2+ hours completing an application!
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

JIS in Jakarta has a very good overall package. Housing and all utilities paid for (except cable and internet)...2 dependents per teacher attend the school free...big time savings potential and great travel opportunities within the country. They are going to salaries in IDR next year so it will be interesting to see how that plays out. Definitely worth considering if you can put up with the traffic, but that's hard to do for alot of people.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

@joanveronica,

If you get an interview, please let us know what their process is like. Good luck.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@Taylor

Except you have to live in Jakarta (and may involve a lengthy prison visit)

@pairadocs

I surely am using the sole resource as Numbeo, which is far better and more valid and reliable than the admin claim of "its this because I say so". McDs is just an example of a fast food type of meal. The Pom Poms are right by the door where you left them before leaving your office with the big chair.

@Ozymnds24

Not interested in persuasion, only data matters. Data doesnt need to be persuasive like the truth you just set it free and it defends itself. It doesnt take any persuasion to compare Switzerland, or most of the world compared to Africa, and a conflict zone in Africa.

Im comfortable with labeling admin cheerleaders as admin cheerleaders.

1) Angola is a conflict region, you can get an AK for £19. It is absolutely a recovering war zone.
2) They arent inaccurate when they come from a reliable and accurate source. Plagiarized what are you going to do about it?
3) Being an admin cheerleader doesnt invalidate your claims, your claims grossly misrepresent the quality of life in Angola, thats what makes them invalid. You being an admin cheerleader makes you a shill, peddling an IS no one wants to go to.
4) Never claimed you were using alternative accounts and identities, but we know now.

Ive demonstrated I am able to express the full landscape of LIS and Anglola, far more then you are willing to represent, but thts what admin cheerleaders do, smoke and mirrors.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I'm going to throw Concordia Shanghai out there into this discussion. Great school and great package.
mamava

Post by mamava »

We were a family of 5 living in Beijing for 5 years on 1 salary. Of course it depends on the school, but housing was covered, utilities were in affordable range, we owned a car, and traveled every Christmas break. Flights home in the summer. My husband got cancer when he was there and the treatment there and in the US (rounds of chemo + a stem cell transplant) was almost nothing out of pocket. In Saudi it was very similar--except there's nothing to spend $$ on so we saved even more. Our annual flight allowance covered the cost of our family flying home twice a year if we wanted it to. Singles in both places managed to travel most of their breaks and continue to save.

We have friends teaching at NIST and ISBangkok and used to be at Taipei and Jakarta and report similar savings.