Global Bilingual Academy in Kuwait

BigSky

Global Bilingual Academy in Kuwait

Post by BigSky »

This is a new school opening for the 14-15 school year. Has anyone interviewed and/or been hired here? Anyone currently in Kuwait have any info? The school is located in Mahboula, how is this area to live in? Thanks for any insight!
lemonlily

Re: Global Bilingual Academy in Kuwait

Post by lemonlily »

I'll PM you.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Mahboula (in Arabic it means "crazy woman", is down south in Kuwait along the Fahaheel Expressway. It is not a great place to live, but when we lived there (dating myself, they started building the Hilton the year we left Kuwait) it wasn't bad. If you have a car, you will be ok. Otherwise, getting around will be a real drag. Down the Gulf Road from Mahboula you have Fahaheel, with two lovely malls where the old meat souk and more traditional souk used to be.

About the school, I can't say much. Expect it to be rough, because it will be all Kuwaiti students and they will be on a learning curve for what a Western education is.

Good luck!
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I taught in Kuwait one year and lived in Mahboula. It's not a good area. Also, the bilingual aspect of the school basically means the kids will have NO English skills. I'd stay away.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

Does anyone have any information on this school? Now that the school year is in full gear, how is the school doing overall? How are the students/staff/teachers/admin./parents? I can see the area is a bit boring from the other comments, has that changed at all? I will be coming with my 4/5 year old, Are there any parks or play area in the area? Thanks in advance for any info.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

Has anyone worked here or have any information?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

julierob25

it is not in the top 5, or even 10 schools in Kuwait. Many of the lower tier schools in Kuwait are serving Kuwaitis who are not that world-wise, who expect boys to be catered to, who have definite views of right and wrong (cheating not necessarily being wrong if it means getting a good grade, definite use of parental influence with owner, a love of profit by said owner, etc.

Caveat emptor.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

Thank you for your response Shadowjack, I really appreciate it.
emilysue1212

Post by emilysue1212 »

As far as I can tell, the only grade levels operating at this point are the very primary grades. Maybe K-2? Other than that, I know nothing. However, after working in Kuwait for 3 years, I would be very wary of working at a brand new school. If you're going to take the plunge, stick with one of the more reputable schools that has been around for longer. Feel free to PM me if you want more info.
julierob25

Post by julierob25 »

Thanks for the reply emilysue1212. I sent you a pm.