Unrest in your new country

Rye

Unrest in your new country

Post by Rye »

Wanted to ask how some of you would react or feel if the school you were heading towards for your next posting was in a country that was having ever increasing unrest, i.e. Increasing protests and riots, more political disapproval and civil rights issues.

I have been reading up on Ukraine, Venezuela, and Bahrain and some other countries and wanted to know your thoughts about how you would react if that was where you were going to be living and working.
datsyukian

Re: Unrest in your new country

Post by datsyukian »

I am moving to Venezuela in July for next school year. I'm going in to it with the attitude that I know there will be daily struggles and annoyances. The salary I will be receiving is substantially higher than the four other school I got offers from (Sweden, Kazakhstan, Honduras, and Italy) and will be twenty minutes from the beach. The risk/reward factor is definitely something you have to consider but working at an American International school that pays in US Dollars certainly helps you out. I made a pros/cons list for every school and found my heart (and wallet) was in Venezuela. I may be a little bias because I love South America and hot weather...
josephine

Post by josephine »

Everyone should have an exit plan, not only those going to countries in turmoil. If something comes up how will you leave, where can you shelter, where is your embassy? Make local friends immediately--they may be able to help get you out if necessary. Keep cash on hand at all times. From my Africa experience, know that you should get a huge container and fill with water, pour some bleach in it to keep it fresh, you may need it for baths or drinking water in the case of water shortage. Along those lines, canned foods and meats, prescriptions, etc should be on hand. Expect the best, prepare for worst, and have a great time teaching.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

As a teacher who is already teaching in one of the countries you mentioned (Venezuela), I've found that as an expat I'm kinda removed from the situation. Getting paid in dollars makes a huge difference and I agree that it always helps to have dollars in hand. I was offered a teaching job in Egypt but it is easier to stay with what you are already familiar with.
roamer

Post by roamer »

I am signed to go to a school in Ukraine and am having serious second thoughts. When I signed the letter of intent, the situation was much different from what it is now. The school director has said that if someone backed out because of legitimate concern for their safety, they could without penalty. I am at a loss about whether to go or look for something else.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

@roamer- I can't speak for the Ukraine, but from talking with some expat teachers in Venezuela from three different international schools, most of the unrest is outside of the expat areas. Today there was a road blocked off close to my house by protestors, so I just drove around it and got home a half hour later than I had planned. Other than road blocks and trouble finding certain products, my life remains the same.

Have you tried contacting teachers who are currently at the school you have signed on for? Usually you can find teacher contact info on school websites and it would be best to hear from people at the exact location that you will be teaching at. For example: teachers in Caracas might have a lot more to say than the teachers I have spoken to in Maracaibo, Valencia, and here in Ojeda.

Good luck with your decision!
Rye

Post by Rye »

That would be a tough call. Where I am going next sounds a bit like what igtallie has to deal with. Tire fires and protests usually, with the occasional escalation but not much worse. I found a few expat blogs and forums there and made contact with some people - not teachers - and they have been very honest with me about what I can expect, and that did wonders to reassure my dog and I that we will be just fine. Maybe see if you can find a similar forum for the Ukraine?

This is the forum I peruse, and they have a Ukraine section which looks like it is active. Hope that helps!

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=403

Good luck with your decision!

(edited because my spelling was crummier than a big ol' biscuit)
steelersbeerdog

Post by steelersbeerdog »

@roamer
I am currently teaching in Ukraine. Most of what you hear on the news has been sensationalized. I am not afraid nor do I fear for my safety. Things are pretty much normal. Business as usual.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I totally agree with steelersbeerdog. I teach in Bahrain and it is fine here. Totally sensationalized in the news. There's some things that happen, but I compare it to living in a big city where there might be a crime that happens in one part of the city, but doesn't directly impact you. That's how I feel. There's no direct impact and I feel very safe.