Pakistan

marieh

Pakistan

Post by marieh »

Has anyone here previously taught in Karachi or Lahore? If so, I'd love to hear your thoughts on what life there is like outside of school. Thanks!
MedellinHeel

Re: Pakistan

Post by MedellinHeel »

Great life outside of school. Lots of outdoor activities, pretty parks and many museums Lots of open women, bars, and nightclubs. ;)

You crazy man?

I am not sure there is a monetary number to get me to work in Pakistan lol
marieh

Post by marieh »

That made me chuckle. :) I realize that it's not the most....liberal (or safe)...place in the world, but there has to be something interesting to do in one's free time aside from sitting at home.

The school is fantastic and so is the pay, so I'll be happy regardless, but more information never hurts!
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

You accepted a job in Karachi Pakistan?!?!? :O

What are they paying you, 80k? lol
Godfather146

Post by Godfather146 »

Can I ask which school it is within Pakistan? I may be able to provide some advice.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Godfather146 wrote:
> Can I ask which school it is within Pakistan? I may be able to provide
> some advice.

Godfather...I sent you a PM.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Marieh...ignore the naysayers!! What a tremendous opportunity, challenge and experience you will have. As for things to do outside of school life? Observe, observe observe. Your canvas will be rich :)
lol and avoid crowds. Stay safe!
dis33

Post by dis33 »

I started going to Pakistan in 1998 when I first took a school group trekking - the last year such trips were allowed due to safety concerns. My wife is Pakistani (christian minority) and I have residency there. I've interviewed, been offered and turned down a job in Karachi (TBS). Karachi was built on a mosquito infested swamp: the climate is unpleasantly hot and the mozzies are still there. AC helps but expect plenty of power cuts (which will get worse). Population of Karachi 16 million and climbing, and there's a lot of unrest. A substantial number of troublesome Patans have settled there.

I'm not aware of any schools that have really good pay. I was interviewed for a director of education post at Aitchison College around 2000 and the pay wasn't that great.

I wouldn't have concerns over random bombs and political protests but would be concerned about being targeted for kidnap and ransom. Guards do not keep you safe. You just have to hope you are not one of the unlucky ones. We stopped going in 2006. Nearly visited a few years ago but cancelled flights when the Taliban got too close to our destination near Islamabad.

There was a missionary school up in the hill station of Murree that got badly bombed so shut up business. Didn't the British school in Islamabad close when all the mothers and children left?

Pakistan is a man's world. Independent travel within country can be unpleasant for a female. As a male, I've always found the people delightful. North of Islamabad it becomes the most mountainous place on earth - spectacular scenery. Unfortunately not much in the way of wonderful architecture (India got all that). You will rarely see any white tourists. I found that a big plus.

I have every intention of spending more time in Pakistan in the future, mainly in Hunza, but not until the kids are off my hands and they no longer need me! :)

I'd say that although the risks are higher in Pakistan chances are you'll be okay.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Thank you for the info, dis33!

The pay itself is not incredible, but the overall package is, and I'd be able to save almost all of my salary. It helps that travel within the city/country is restricted and the school covers most of our living expenses. Your point about kidnap/ransom are interesting...have there been any expats that have been kidnapped in recent years? That is something that I will keep in mind when I'm off of the school compound.

What you say about the weather is a shame though. It sounds exactly like Bangkok with the mozzies and the heat, which is unpleasant.

From your post and the other information I've received from other teachers, the risks do seem higher there, but a newly certified teacher with no post-cert experience, so are the professional rewards. I decided early on in the job search that I'd rather work at a solid school (IB/AP, good admin, experienced teachers, PD opportunities) in a dangerous country than a just-okay school (non-IB/AP, high turnover, for-profit) in a good location. At least, until I get more experience under my belt.
dis33

Post by dis33 »

I assume you have already checked the FCO info, in particular the links to terrorism and safety and security from this page:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan

Kidnappings in Karachi have reached a record high:
http://tribune.com.pk/story/651253/kidn ... ar-record/

But, according to this wiki not so many foreigners:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_ho ... n_Pakistan

Despite how horrifying it all sounds the odds that you will be affected are still low, just a lot higher than elsewhere. I've been reluctant to return because I have dependents. Despite the bad picture painted you most likely will be fine. Greatest risk is almost certainly on the roads. They're almost as bad as the drivers here in New Zealand.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Marieh,

a lot of my former students are Pakistani and they return to Pakistan to study and visit very often. So go in knowing there is danger and something *could* happen. Then again, you could be hit by a car tomorrow, shot in a drive-by, fall and break your neck - as dis33 says, the odds are low.

In most places overseas I have felt as safe, if not safer, than at home in Canada. And in the US, there are places I have felt a lot less safe than overseas...but again, others I have felt very safe in.

Sounds like you are off on an "adventure". Soak it all in, take lots of photos and keep us posted!