How much math does a high school math teacher need?

MedellinHeel

Re: How much math does a high school math teacher need?

Post by MedellinHeel »

I was raised with the thinking that anything is possible with hard work and dedication. You think people are born naturals?

I refuse to adhere or believe such a defeatist mindset like that.

To each their own.
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

pgrass wrote:
> SpedMaestro wrote:
> > pgrass wrote:
> > > I good mathematics teacher has, among other things, natural mathematical
> > > ability and is confident in this ability. You can't learn this ability from
> > > any course. The fact that you are asking means that you shouldn't be
> > > teaching any extended courses.
> >
> > I smell a troll. Were you born with the quadratic formula memorized and an
> innate
> > understanding of algebra? Mathematical skill is acquired by rote memory and
> practice,
> > nothing more.
>
> Complete nonsense. You don't pass HL Mathematics with just rote memory and practice.
> You can work your ass off but if you don't have the natural ability then you crash
> and burn in the final exams. You need to know how to apply the "quadratic
> formula" to any number of (new) situations the examiners will throw at you. Some
> people naturally see how to start a problem. Others don't, even though they know how
> to use the "quadratic formula".
>
> I guess that you are either a) not a mathematics teacher, or b) a mathematics teacher
> who doesn't teach IB HL or AP Calculus BC.

It's time someone put you in your place. If you were a math natural, you wouldn't be teaching HS math, you'd actually be applying your skills in something creative and far more lucrative. In the grand scheme of things, IB HL and calc BC are not high level maths. Its nothing that a 1st year undergrad wouldn't see. To argue that you have to be mathematically gifted in order to learn that material is laughable. And you must be an exceedingly poor teacher, if only the 'naturals' are passing the final exam.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

Again, spoken like a non math teacher.

The fact that you consider teaching to be not very creative is worrying.
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

pgrass wrote:
> Again, spoken like a non math teacher.
>
> The fact that you consider teaching to be not very creative is worrying.

Teaching isn't creative, you teach the same material/work the same problems year in and year out. This is particularly the case for you as you seem unable to adjust your methods to assist the non gifted.

If you were the math prodigy that you say are, you would be applying your talents in a field where you actually produce something. You're an educated monkey with a sharpey. Sorry to wreck your illusions of grandeur....
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

SpedMaestro wrote:

> Teaching isn't creative, you teach the same material/work the same problems year
> in and year out. This is particularly the case for you as you seem unable to adjust
> your methods to assist the non gifted.

There are so many things wrong with your first sentence.

In your second sentence are you saying that anyone can pass IB Mathematics HL?
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

No, not everyone can pass it. But considering that math naturals make up a miniscule percentage of students, a lot of 'ungifted' people still manage to do well.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Outside of those people with insane photographic memory, no one is born a math natural. People become such through learning, studying, and practicing (normally at an early age)

As the other poster just mentioned, you do not have to be a natural to do well in HL math.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

> As the other poster just mentioned, you do not have to be a natural to do well in
> HL math.

If you are talking about IB HL, I think most, if not all, mathematics teachers of that course will disagree with you. You do not understand the course at all.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

pgrass wrote:
> > As the other poster just mentioned, you do not have to be a natural to do well
> in
> > HL math.
>
> If you are talking about IB HL, I think most, if not all, mathematics teachers of
> that course will disagree with you. You do not understand the course at all.

So every student that takes that class and does well is a natural? And really what is a natural? Someone that put in the work to learn and understand math? People that were born knowing derivatives?
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

I think the problem is that you are seeing mathematics as something which is entirely procedural, like calculating the mean of a list of numbers. Yes, anyone can do that.

People are born with different IQs. Do you really think those at the lower end of the scale can pass HL Math in 18 years time if they work hard enough? I would say only those at the top end of the scale can.
sid

Post by sid »

Ahh... We seem to have reached that age-old question of nature vs nurture. It rears its head in every subject, though possibly more regularly and more violently in quantitative subjects.
If nature wins, than a good teacher's job is to identify the natural talents and provide them with the limited support needed as they naturally grow into the subject. And the teacher doesn't get to take much, if any, credit for student's progress. After all, all we did was get out of the way.
If nurture is king, than a good teacher's job is to work with all students, using methods of all sorts, to take each student as far as they can go.

Or is it instead the question of fixed vs growth mindset, a la Dweck? Same issue really, is it my job to work with the smarties, or to help each child grow their smarts?

Personally the first idea doesn't appeal to me much. I'd rather believe that I can make a difference, and that students have amazing potential for growth and learning. The idea of looking at one student as an inherent success and another as an inherent failure, is rather repugnant to me. Might as well print up name tags with 'good', 'average' and 'bad', and send the baddies off to work in McDonald's after primary school. If they can master enough math to make change.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

pgrass wrote:
> I think the problem is that you are seeing mathematics as something which
> is entirely procedural, like calculating the mean of a list of numbers.
> Yes, anyone can do that.
>
> People are born with different IQs. Do you really think those at the lower
> end of the scale can pass HL Math in 18 years time if they work hard
> enough? I would say only those at the top end of the scale can.

The problem is you are thinking that only naturals (what ever that is) can learn and understand a subject matter like HL Math. That is absurd.

I dont not believe in born with IQs (excluding people born with mental limitations). I believe IQ is a product of nurture brought about and cultivated from an early age with the guidance of a parental figure and continued on through school with teachers, resources, and other factors.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

sid wrote:

> Might as well print up name tags with 'good',
> 'average' and 'bad', and send the baddies off to work in McDonald's after primary
> school. If they can master enough math to make change.

No need for that. Just print "HL", "SL" or "Studies".
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

MedellinHeel wrote:

> The problem is you are thinking that only naturals (what ever that is) can learn and
> understand a subject matter like HL Math. That is absurd.
>

They can learn and understand it just fine with enough effort. It is the applying that people struggle with.
flyingrob31

Post by flyingrob31 »

I have a Science degree and credential in Physics. I teach Physics but also AP Calculus. Last year I taught 24 students. All of them passed the AP exam, most all of them with a score of 5. Its not that hard, you do not need to be gifted in math. You just need a strong work ethic and obviously you must learn the material. For myself, the ability to motivate students is more important than anything else.