How much math does a high school math teacher need?

lloydkirk

How much math does a high school math teacher need?

Post by lloydkirk »

For for those of us who didn't major in math, is there a rough guideline on the coursework needed to be a confident upper level HS math teacher? The math cert exam in my state only goes up to basic calculus which is where my academic experience ends. It seems you would have to know a lot more if you're teaching IB HL or AP.
MedellinHeel

Re: How much math does a high school math teacher need?

Post by MedellinHeel »

If you know AP Calculus like the back of your hand you should be alright. For safe measure to the same for what ever is the next class / level above Calculus. ps. I am merely speculating.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

...if you have to ask....:)
lloydkirk

Post by lloydkirk »

^I'm sorry but was that an attempt to answer my question?
marieh

Post by marieh »

This is just my first year teaching math, so others may have differing opinions. I would say that, if you want to become a good upper level math teacher then you need to know all topics UP TO AND INCLUDING calculus like the back of your hand. That means that you can not only solve the problems yourself, but that you can anticipate the areas where students will be confused and common questions they might have. Not only that, you have to be so familiar with the topic that you can break it down into smaller parts, present them in an engaging way, and then tie them together in your students' minds.

I've read other posts on here by people wanting to teach HL math and thinking that they can just read the chapter in advance and learn how to solve the problems, but trust me when I say, that isn't going to work. That level/depth of knowledge required to be a good math teacher isn't something you're going to be able to cram for in a few months or a year. Heck, I have a math degree (and part of a M.S. in Math) and it's still challenging at times, especially when it's a topic I haven't seen in years.
sid

Post by sid »

I'd recommend lots of math if you'd like to teach DP HL. Several college-level maths courses, and not the simple ones for people who are majoring in English and need a math credit to graduate. Calculus, linear, non-linear and abstract algebra, probability, statistics, a couple types of -, number theory... all sorts like that. You need to have taken, and be really good at, math that is several years beyond the highest level you would teach.
It's not enough just to be comfortable with the level you're teaching. Remember, you're also laying the groundwork/foundations for students to progress to further studies in math. And you have to be able to answer students' tough questions about how this connects to that, why something has to be done this way, what courses they should take next in uni... You have to be able to support students who need extension or even just want to write their EE in math, which will require math beyond the official syllabus.
If you weren't a math major, but had an interest in math, you could consider teaching middle school or lower high school math.
Briz

Post by Briz »

The last 2 comments are applicable to all of the sciences as well, and I would assume other courses as well. You must understand not only what the students are currently engaged in, but where this information is going to take them. The changes in the Group 4 syllabus are allowing this to take place easier for students who are ready for that. Math will be changing syllabus soon, and one can expect similar types of changes as one sees in the sciences.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Yep.
lloydkirk

Post by lloydkirk »

Sid, thanks for your input. If I was determined to do it, would a m.a in math education be the best route? It would include about 30 hours of post-calculus math coursework...
sid

Post by sid »

An MA in Math Ed, coupled with a teaching cert for HS Math, would be a good combo, certainly useful on a CV at recruiting time. And those high-level maths courses will provide what you need to support the students.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

I good mathematics teacher has, among other things, natural mathematical ability and is confident in this ability. You can't learn this ability from any course. The fact that you are asking means that you shouldn't be teaching any extended courses.
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

pgrass wrote:
> I good mathematics teacher has, among other things, natural mathematical
> ability and is confident in this ability. You can't learn this ability from
> any course. The fact that you are asking means that you shouldn't be
> teaching any extended courses.

I smell a troll. Were you born with the quadratic formula memorized and an innate understanding of algebra? Mathematical skill is acquired by rote memory and practice, nothing more.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

SpedMaestro wrote:
> pgrass wrote:
> > I good mathematics teacher has, among other things, natural mathematical
> > ability and is confident in this ability. You can't learn this ability from
> > any course. The fact that you are asking means that you shouldn't be
> > teaching any extended courses.
>
> I smell a troll. Were you born with the quadratic formula memorized and an innate
> understanding of algebra? Mathematical skill is acquired by rote memory and practice,
> nothing more.

Complete nonsense. You don't pass HL Mathematics with just rote memory and practice. You can work your ass off but if you don't have the natural ability then you crash and burn in the final exams. You need to know how to apply the "quadratic formula" to any number of (new) situations the examiners will throw at you. Some people naturally see how to start a problem. Others don't, even though they know how to use the "quadratic formula".

I guess that you are either a) not a mathematics teacher, or b) a mathematics teacher who doesn't teach IB HL or AP Calculus BC.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Thats absurd, you dont have to be a natural in anything. One can acquire the knowledge, background, and conceptual understanding through hard work and determination. Sure it helps in the acquisition mode, but it certainly isnt the end all be all. I will say though, it is a little more than simply memory and practice.
pgrass

Post by pgrass »

MedellinHeel wrote:
> Thats absurd, you dont have to be a natural in anything. One can acquire the knowledge,
> background, and conceptual understanding through hard work and determination. Sure
> it helps in the acquisition mode, but it certainly isnt the end all be all. I will
> say though, it is a little more than simply memory and practice.

Spoken like somebody who has absolutely no understanding of the demands of HL Mathematics. Most (as in the majority of) mathematics teachers can't even (and don't) teach it.