Best job for a spouse to have?

MedellinHeel

Best job for a spouse to have?

Post by MedellinHeel »

Was wondering about this. Lets say you get married, what would be the ideal job for someone married to an international educator?

Obviously being a teacher would be good. What about a nurse? Any other jobs in which people can find work abroad?
shadowjack

Re: Best job for a spouse to have?

Post by shadowjack »

As someone who followed my spouse around the world, and now tables turned as my Mrs. S is training as a teacher, far far easier to be a teaching couple.

Mrs. S was in the medical field and it was and is fairly easy for her to get a job in her medical specialty because there aren't lots of them out there. But...different holidays, different hours, different places meant that it was hard for us to coordinate things when I had time off.

Medical, preferably doctor, is the best field. Speech pathologist would also be good, because often there are no speech services available for the local expat community.

Just my 2 halalas,

shad
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

If your spouse follows you, don't be surprised if they are considered a local hire. And if you follow your spouse, same thing. Don't expect the flight benefits, etc. Most of my teaching career overseas I have been a local hire. I much prefer being an overseas hire :-)
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Seems like nurse would be a pretty usual occupation needed everywhere.
sid

Post by sid »

Medical can work, but remember that every time you move country, you have to get your qualification accepted. This can be easier in some countries than others. And language can be a big issue. If you aren't going to work in the international school, you'll probably need to be functional in the local language.
If you have a specialty in which you can make a living just working with the expat community, that could work.
I wonder if it's harder in 'first world' countries, with more competition from highly qualified locals? Or harder in less developed countries, where local citizens earn much less than a typical expat would expect to get?
Don't count on a nurse getting a job in your school. Often school nurses are locals who have settled in for the long haul.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Sid,

we have been to developed and lesser developed countries on my wife's profession.

But nursing can be a bit rough because many places are cutting back on Western nurse hires, or limiting benefits. When I was in one country, all the senior nurses on a family contract were told that at the end of the year (contracts were year to year), they would all be switched to single hire contracts, losing housing benefits etc for their family. Many nurses with families left at the end of their contracts.

To make a living just in the expat community, you need a pretty big expat community, so that limits you to places like Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore, KL, and others. The problem with that is most of those places also offer excellent service already.

If you marry, do it for love, though, not because your spouse has the "right" profession. LOL
karinada

Post by karinada »

My partner is a physical therapist. Is this a decent trailing spouse job?
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

A great option these days is online work. Be a consultant, or when you leave the States, for example, see if you can set up some kind of role that doesnt need to be physically present w your current job.

This is becoming more and more common anyways--working from home--and I know multiple spouses here at my current school who are doing it.

They make US money too, which is nice!

The good: the money, the flexibility when changing countries, the no hassle w visas.
The bad: no interaction w locals, possible time difference issues.
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

Trojan wrote:
> A great option these days is online work. Be a consultant, or when you
> leave the States, for example, see if you can set up some kind of role that
> doesnt need to be physically present w your current job.
>
> This is becoming more and more common anyways--working from home--and I
> know multiple spouses here at my current school who are doing it.
>
> They make US money too, which is nice!
>
> The good: the money, the flexibility when changing countries, the no hassle
> w visas.
> The bad: no interaction w locals, possible time difference issues.

Trojan, do you know of specific companies or outlets to find jobs like that? We have been looking for something like that for my H. There are a few companies we have found, but it's hard to get a job straight out that is telecommuting.

Typically you are with a company for a long period of time and then they will allow telecommuting...
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I don't, but i have not looked into it at all.

The two spouses who are doing it here are working for companies they were previously employed with.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

School psychologist - someone who can diagnose learning disabilities. These folks are always in high demand.

Day trader, web designer, etc - all you need is a computer, internet and tons of ability.