Apartments for rent in Kuwait

Godfather146

Apartments for rent in Kuwait

Post by Godfather146 »

Hi all,

A school that I am currently in negoiations with will either provide me with a 1 bed apartment or a housing allowance of 150 KD. The school will not provide any guarantees as to where the apartment will be. Also, I would prefer to find my own apartment because of the size of my family (wife + 1 child). However, 150 KD seems incredibly low to me. What do others think?

The school is located in Rumaithiya. Can anyone suggest an area/apartments which are close the school, which would be suitable for young families without costing the Earth? I realise that I may have to pay for something better out of my own pocket, however, I hear that 1-2-1 tutoring in Kuwait can be quite lucrative.

Regards
Godfather
lemonlily

Re: Apartments for rent in Kuwait

Post by lemonlily »

That is realllly low. A really mediocre apartment in a less than desirable area will be about 250kd give or take. I've heard nice places and what you would need for your family, would be about 400kd or so per month.

Also, I have never heard of the area that the school is in....I'll look it up...

Tutoring is definitely lucrative if you don't mind working your life away. I tutor 5 days a week and don't get home til about 7/730pm most week nights. It can get quite exhausting. But the money is definitely nice. I make about half my salary in tutoring.
Godfather146

Post by Godfather146 »

Thanks lemonlily, the school itself is the A'Takamul International School. Do you know of it? Last review on the pay site was 4 yrs ago and was not very positive. I did raise a topic about the school and feedback was mixed.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Godfather. Are you western? White? How old is your child and will he or she go to the school as well? You realize there are NO western students there and it is all Arab, predominantly Saudi? If your child is going there, they will definitely be standing out.

150 KD is really really low and Atakamul is out west of the city proper somewhere down near the 5th Ring Road as far as I remember (it's been awhile). East of Mahboula/Abu Halifa/Mangaf. That means it's a ways out of town.

Good luck!
Godfather146

Post by Godfather146 »

I have decided to turn down their offer. From a financial perspective it would have me more than what I would have been comfortable with.
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

I think that was probably a good choice on your part.

There are better schools in Kuwait, for sure.

Feel free to come back for any other advice, or recommendations.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Honestly, I think you made the right choice. And my apologies, I meant to say predominantly Kuwaiti (too many years in the Middle Eastern sun must have temporarily scrambled my brain).

Good luck with the search!

shad