Harrow International School Bangkok

Schmedz

Harrow International School Bangkok

Post by Schmedz »

Is this school as good as it looks? How does it compare to other schools in the region? Just trying to get an idea of what it would be like to work there and also what it would be like for the children to attend.
Any ideas and advice appreciated?
Schmedz

Re: Harrow International School Bangkok

Post by Schmedz »

Anyone?
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

Good school looking after staff. Decent PD opportunities and fairly stable management. You would have to live on campus for the first year, not bad if you have kids. Lots of families with kids live in campus, excellent facilities. Then again, some people want more privacy. Hard work, two after-school activities per week, great programme for the kids with lots of things to do. A bit out of city centre, lots of shopping opportunities around though. Majority of students are Thai, respectful and hard working. Let me know if you have specific questions.
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I kind of like the idea of being on campus when making such a big move...ease into international life and all that. I have had conflicting opinions over whether it is better to go with a 'truly' international school where there is a real mix of ethnicities and no overwhelming majority or whether majority from one cultural background is OK. Are you speaking from first hand experience as a staff member?

I am really fortunate to work and have my children in an absolutely fantastic school here in the UK so I am being a little fussy about where I apply. I'd like to think I am a pretty strong candidate but also realise I probably can't completely pick and choose!! Family have basically decided to let my youngest finish primary school before moving abroad, so I will cross fingers that Harrow (or another school like them) are advertising a suitable post again for the 2015/16 academic year...

Thanks again for suggesting I can contact you with any other questions.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Close to the domestic/budget airline airport of Don Muang in the north of the city. No underground/Skytrain into town.
Ddd

Post by Ddd »

I love Thailand but I wouldn't move there this year, due to the political situation now, especially with a family. While day to day life is fine ( and it has always been like that during internal conflict in the country ), I would wait to see what happens to the economy, students' numbers, who will lead the country, etc.

Older kids would fit in easier than younger one at H in my opinion (year 7 should be fine), also easier for boys. Jobs always come up even in the top schools, and this one is up there with ISB, NIST and BPS in my opinion. There were more than 100 staff kids a few years ago at the school, many people stay there for a long time.

Having a car would help but it is not a must, taxis and renting during the holiday is also a good option, not expensive at all. Not sure what else to say; I don't agree with the comment on TES about the soul/factory...
Schmedz

Post by Schmedz »

Thanks...I have two girls and I have already turned down two excellent job offers to allow the youngest to finish primary school here so I am reassured about declining Thailand given current situation politically. I did wonder (with Harrow in the UK being a boys boarding school) whether the international school might also be more geared towards boys (with that said, both my girls are huge tomboys and although they attend a girls' school at the moment, their closest friends outside of school are all boys!). What makes you say it would be easier for older child/boys to fit in there?
Good we wouldn't need to purchase a car...hear it is quite expensive to do so!