Westhill Institute, Mexico City

lemonlily

Westhill Institute, Mexico City

Post by lemonlily »

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any current information on this school. They have openings listed on TIE.

All the reviews on the paid side are generally negative, but the most recent one is from 2008, so 5-6 years old.

It looks like they may be fully IB now, or they are at least an IB candidate school.

Just wondering if they still have the same kinds of problems, or if things have started looking up for them.

Any info would be appreciated! :)
chilagringa

Re: Westhill Institute, Mexico City

Post by chilagringa »

It still has a bad reputation I think. I had students who said they left because the behavior was so bad. Knowing those students, that's a scary idea.

Then again, this is hearsay and I don't actually know anyone that works there.
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

Thanks.

Any others?

What is it like living in Mexico City? Cost of living? What would be a good salary for a couple with non-teaching spouse?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Besides the American School and Greengates, which have probably done all their hiring by now, try:

- Edron
- Eton
- Churchill
- Peterson
- Colegio Ciudad de Mexico
- Colegio Suizo
- Vistahermosa
- Colegio Eton

I can't say how good all of those are, I just know that they hire foreigners.

Living in Mexico City is amazing. Cost of living is cheaper than the USA/Canada but not as cheap as you might think. I would say something above 20,000 pesos would be OK but not great, above 30,000 you would be able to save a bit. However, assuming that your spouse is a native speaker of a major European language (English, French, German, etc), you could pull in another 10,000 pesos a month from tutoring.
jlancaster42

Post by jlancaster42 »

Did you take the job at Westhill? I have a job offer there and I am also worried about the negative reviews on here. I am hoping they have changed since undergoing the IB program process...
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

One of my friends in Mexico City told me that the school is known for having students with bad behavior, and she knows a lot of teachers who have left the school.
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

I did not take the job there.

The salary/package offered wasn't sustainable for me. That paired with the negative reviews pushed me to say no.
daverice

Post by daverice »

Just to bump the topic. A job has come up. I'm from a British system background for a start so the American school aspect worries me. Any recent opinions, any news?
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I know several people that have worked there. I can't review a school on this forum. So... buy a paid membership, read the reviews and believe them. There are at least five better schools to work at in Mexico City.