Venezuela vs. Kazakhstan

datsyukian

Venezuela vs. Kazakhstan

Post by datsyukian »

I was offered a position in both Venezuela and Almaty, Kazakhstan and am unsure on which direction I want to go in. I am a very young, single male teacher with experience in the United States and Brazil. I'm a little unsure about the current state of affairs in Venezuela but am wondering if I am over-reacting. Besides the obvious, what are so pro/cons of each country? I don't speak Spanish or Russian.
MedellinHeel

Re: Venezuela vs. Kazakhstan

Post by MedellinHeel »

Venezuela by a country mile.

Single male?

Go to Venezuela and thank me later.

You can get your Spanish up in no time if you dedicate yourself.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Do you know whats going on in Venezuela right now? Check out that before making a decision.
datsyukian

Post by datsyukian »

Yes, that is why I am a little torn. I'm not sure if it is going to blow over or turn into a bloodbath like Kiev.
Micky

Post by Micky »

I expect you might be with QSI. If so another factor you may want to consider is the actual school in both places. The one in Venezuela is very small while the one in Almaty is a lot larger. Also Almaty is becoming more Europeanish with most of the products and restaurants available there that foreigners might find attractive. Whatever you decide don't let people convince you that Almaty is like other cities in the stans as it isn't. I am currently working in KZ and Almaty has changed rapidly in the past decade and continues to do so.
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

Kazakhstan is a rough post dude. I have worked there before. The winters are long and harsh, the food is not so great unless you like borscht, horse meat, lagman, or a lot of beet root. The Kazakh people were not friendly in the least. Maybe it is different at QSI but when I worked for NIS it was a nightmare. If you want more information PM me and I will fill you in on what I know.
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

I would give Venezuela a slight edge, assuming it is either CIPLC in Puerto La Cruz or ECA in Caracas. If it is one of the QSI schools, flip a coin.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Kazakhstan would have to pay triple for me to even consider it, and this is with all the protests going on.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Without any hesitation I would choose neither.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

I'm an international teacher in Venezuela. I'm halfway through my second year here and I have signed on for a third year in Venezuela but at another school.

What school were you offered a job at?

I just posted about the pros and cons of living here: http://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/02/2 ... venezuela/ . Hopefully it can be of some help to you. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

MedellinHeel wrote:
> Kazakhstan would have to pay triple for me to even consider it, and this is
> with all the protests going on.

Why? Kazahk women are hot.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Latin Culture / Women > Kazakhstan Culture / Women

Not even close.
EUExplorer

Post by EUExplorer »

Usually, I would agree with Dash, but Venezuela hasn't been a nice place to live in at least 10 years. So while a single lad would certainly meet some nice ladies to date there, the lack of toilet paper, milk, and other products gets quite frustrating for most people. Also, when infrastructure problems hit you DAILY like lack of running water to wash yourself in the morning or after a workout at the gym and/or the power goes out just when you wanted to watch your favorite sports team over the internet... well, that can be tough.

People try to get around these things and make their lives a little better by hoarding products when you can find them, buying a generator for when the luz goes out to at least get on the internet, storing water when it is available in big barrels so that you can wash, etc. Then there are the protests (especially in Caracas) and the schools have to close often as a result. A friend of mine lost his spring break years ago while working in Venezuela because they had to cancel so many days of school earlier in the year. And those days that were cancelled weren't necessarily sequential and some were cancelled at the last minute (meaning you can't travel since you need to be around if the school is opened the next day). You are advised not to go outside due to the protests, not to mention the crime is pretty bad at this point in Caracas, so you basically have to sit home (and remember that day you might not have running water or power).

So I would go so far as to say that Venezuela is very much a "hardship post" at this time.
SpedMaestro

Post by SpedMaestro »

MedellinHeel wrote:
> Latin Culture / Women > Kazakhstan Culture / Women
>
> Not even close.

It's a matter of taste, Dash.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Sped, yes ppl have diff tastes. I am speaking from a general stand point. I think most guys would agree Venezuela has better looking women and a more "fun" culture.