Alternative schools like Green School, Bali

curiousme

Alternative schools like Green School, Bali

Post by curiousme »

Can anyone give me website links (specifically) to schools with alternative curriculums, preferably ones that focus on sustainability and have an 'eco' slant? Anywhere in the world that takes international teachers is a possibility.

The Green School really appeals but I imagine competition for jobs is fierce and there are some not-so-great posts about Bali's air quality which is a concern with 2 young kids.

greenschool.org

Thanks!
chalupa

Re: Alternative schools like Green School, Bali

Post by chalupa »

I have visited the Green School and it is really wonderful. Even if you don't plan on working there I would highly recommend visiting, enrolling in the Green Educators course and making some connections.

As far as other similar schools? Check out educationrevolution.org (AERO) for a list of democratic, progressive schools throughout the world. I had my eye on the Cuixmala School in Mexico, which I found through AERO, but I accepted an offer from another school before I heard back from Cuixmala. Seems like an amazing place, though.
http://www.cuixmalaschool.com/

Another interesting school I found while searching for progressive schools is Panyaden in Chiang Mai. It has a special focus on mindfulness education. http://www.panyaden.ac.th/

Also check out the LIFE School in Guatemala http://www.lifeschoolweb.com/

The only drawback to these schools is that most of them seem to offer local salaries. If you can afford the pay cut, I'm sure it would be a unique and fulfilling experience. Good luck!
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks so much for these suggestions which I'm about to follow up. I'm in SE Asia anyway so going to head over to the Green School for a few days in April to check it out. Even if it's just for a short-term contract, I'm still interested but don't want to pin hopes (or health) on one possibility.

Really appreciate the info and any more that you kind folk offer.
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

I occasionally hear complaints about the air quality in Bali, but I've never really understood it. Compared to almost any place in the world where you'll find an international school, the air here is fantastic. Yes, the local villagers burn their trash and sweepings here and there, in small piles, every few weeks if it's dry. So you'll drive through some clouds of smoke, but on the whole the air here is fine. And more so at Green School, which is not really near any populated areas.

Just an FYI, Green School doesn't do short-term contracts. They offer two year contracts like most schools. And yes, getting a job at the school is competitive. I may have this wrong, but if memory serves, there were several hundred applicants for every open position last year. (This might not stack up with the big boy international schools, but it's still a lot of people applying for a few openings.)

The school hasn't begun advertising it's openings for the 2014-15 school year yet, and there will be some positions open. The school does its hiring via a series of Skype interviews. But coming to visit the school, and maybe setting up a quick hello meeting with someone from administration, will give you a leg up on the competition. In the end the school hires those who they think are the best teachers, and best fit, for the school. But a face to face meeting, or at least being able to say you visited the campus, will not hurt.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks teacherguy. A 'short term' contract with kids IS 2 years!

Interesting comments on the air quality but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Much appreciated.
lantana

Post by lantana »

I'm happy to see this post and look forward to checking out the link someone posted. Here are a couple on my radar:

-Prem Tensulada in Chiang Mai
-Tulum International School in Mexico- This is a brand new school with a handful of kids and one teacher. They have some interesting things going on, though. Maybe in a year they will be ready to hire more teachers.
-There is a Compass Education model that focuses on sustainability in education. A number of international schools are linked to the Compass program. Prem offers trainings.

I am drooling over Green School, as well, but I think one year ago they were not at all in the same place they are now. I wish I would have applied last year when I saw open positions, but frankly, it looked like a leap of faith then. Aside from the beauty of their program, I am impressed by the quality of their advertising and outreach. Photography and website design is beautiful. They are gaining int'l attention (Michael Franti, Al Gore), and I imagine that if they are not already able to, they will be able to offer a competitive salary soon.
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Thanks for those additional pointers. That school in Mexico is quite inspiring. I am beginning to wish I were a Primary teacher so I could just go ahead and open my own. Hmm.....
teacherguy

Post by teacherguy »

Green School has always had top notch advertising and outreach. It has to. The one problem the school will always have is that it's a destination school. There's no diplomatic corp on Bali to populate the school on the government dime. There's few to no no big businesses that attract expat workers with kids that would attend the school on the businesses dime. The local population is not full of wealthy parents wanting their child to get an international school education. Most children at the school are there because their parents want their child to be educated in the atmosphere and program that Green School provides. (And mom and dad get to live in Bali.) Parents put their child in the school for the "Green School Experience," mom and dad get the Bali Experience, then they move back to their home country after a year or two. There are Bali and Green School lifers of course, but at this time they are in the minority. The school has to reach out, get its name out, and advertise continuously in order to flourish.

My guess is the salary at the school will never be at the top end. I don't think it can afford to pay teachers more than it is at the moment. That being said, the salary isn't bad. Teachers can save. Not Saudi Arabia save. But can save. And hey... You get to live in Bali. And teach at an amazing school.

Jane Goodall will be the commencement speaker at the high school graduation ceremony this year. Pretty cool.
lgtallie

Post by lgtallie »

While interning in Oregon I met a family who had attended the Cloud Forest School in Costa Rica. After talking to them, and growing to love my student, I checked it out when I was first looking at teaching internationally. If I had a family with kids to raise and a husband to come home to, I would consider working there, otherwise as a young single teacher it seems a little too remote for my tastes.

http://cloudforestschool.org/
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Wherever we end up, salary won't be a priority - enough to live will be fine but thanks for the heads up.

The Cloud School looks interesting. I don't suppose you still have the contact of the family in Oregon, and whether they'd be willing for me to contact them? The site pages give refreshingly frank information about the ups and downs of working/living there, so definitely one I'll be looking into more.

Muchas gracias!
curiousme

Post by curiousme »

Another resource for anyone still interested:
https://teachingwanderlust.com/2014/02/ ... n-schools/