My Skype Interview

Khalida

My Skype Interview

Post by Khalida »

Hi everyone! This morning I had a lovely Skype interview in English and French with a wonderful school in Egypt! It was my first choice of school, imagine! The director is presently checking references and will get back to me today or tomorrow. Fingers crossed. . . wish me luck!

Khalida
Novice

Re: My Skype Interview

Post by Novice »

Good Luck!
Rye

Post by Rye »

That's great news! Hopefully they expidite the process so you don't have to wonder about it. Keep us posted
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Any pointers for Skype interviews? I find them extremely awkward.
Khalida

Post by Khalida »

chilagringa wrote:
> Any pointers for Skype interviews? I find them extremely awkward.

It was my first Skype interview and you'll surely receive more pointers from those more experienced.

Here's what worked for me: having a practice Skype chat yesterday with my sister to set the volume control and ensure nice background for camera. Even though I was at home I wore a dress to set a professional tone. I also remembered to remain fairly still during the interview and to look at the camera (eye contact) 90% of the time instead of at the images on the screen.
It was my first interview in 15 years (I've owned my own business since 1999 so am used to being on the other side of the table). All the same, I felt very relaxed thanks to the welcoming presence of the two interviewers, and didn't let the odd Skype glitch rattle me. A little meditation beforehand really helped, too!
josephine

Post by josephine »

I had a horrible Skype interview--couldn't hear the interviewer, had to call back 3 times, sometimes I couldn't hear anything and just sat there and smiled and said "sorry could you repeat" over and over...
Rye

Post by Rye »

Here are a few tips from personal experience:

- Lighting is a big issue. Make sure they can see you, all of you.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Maybe set it up so the corner of a diploma is visible.
- Make sure the camera doesn't face any windows. Makes you a sillouette.
- Practice call a friend and/or check the video settings beforehand and make sure your internet connection is strong.
- Have your notes and questions accessable so you don't have to leave the screen.
- Turn off or mute your devices and double check there will be no weird computer alerts going off.
- Close all other tabs. Adverts have a mind of their own.
- Sit far enough away they can see the top half of your midsection, not just your face. A huge face would be scary.
- You can verify your mic settings beforehand with a test call.
- While it isn't easy, try to remember to look at the webcam from time to time. If you are too close and you look at the screen you'll appear to be looking downward.
- Tech difficulties happen, so just try to roll with it as best as you can!
- And while you don't have to "fully dress up" below the waist, it seems to help get you in the mindset. Also, if you forget to wear pants Murphy's Law says the webcam will slip and you will show your interviewer more than your skill set.

Good luck!