newton schools, qatar

proof000

newton schools, qatar

Post by proof000 »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anybody has information on this chain of schools in Qatar. I am pondering over an offer from them. Anybody currently working there or who has any previous experience, if you have any information ie package, working environment this would be greatly appreciated!
smithaj

Re: newton schools, qatar

Post by smithaj »

Greetings,

Newton Schools are a growing school system in Qatar and the package is ok. You will see much better packages at the American School in Doha or and of the Qatar Foundation Schools.

You will survive most comfortably on your package and their is a large expat community with many opportunities to see and do some incredible things. Much of that though is quite costly. Travel from Doha is easy but the cost is rising also.

I have spent just over two years here and life in Qatar for me was challenging as the students can be quite difficult. The local students, not the foreign. But even worse is Gulf Arab culture in general. Read up about the Kefala System and recent problems for expats (the Indians, Philipino, and Nepalese mostly).

Qatar can be a lucrative and challenging environment but you must come with an open mind and a willingness to do things other than what you are used to. I had a hard time but I know some of my colleagues deal with it much better than I do. Laughter and patience will be great assets. Two years is enough for me though and I am moving at the end of this school year.

Remember that the creed here is often "enshallah." Enshallah means "if God is willing." This is used so often it is comical.

Think about other offers if you can, but Newton Schools are not as bad as some other but then also not as good.

Hope this helps.