opinion of these schools for NQT?

chilagringa

opinion of these schools for NQT?

Post by chilagringa »

I might risk outing myself with this, but does anyone have any opinions of the following schools? Location is not really important to me, so I am more considering quality of school considering that I am a NQT and does not teach a particularly in-demand subject:

Canadian International School of Abu Dhabi
Interamericano in Guatemala City
chilagringa

Re: opinion of these schools for NQT?

Post by chilagringa »

I'm going to assume that since nobody jumped to warn me of doom and gloom these schools couldn't be all that bad.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

First, I don't know anything about the Canadian school and I am vaguely aware of Colegio Interericano, but not enough to give an opinion.

Well, folks may have assumed that you checked the paid side already. It looks like at least one of those has a report. Or they are too afraid to post. Or the people left teaching altogether after working there. Lots of possibilities exist.

No response is not always a positive, but if you can't find answers here I'd still advise additional research through whatever means you can. Local expat websites in the cities may be useful. You're more likely to get students' parents that way. If you can track down emails for current or teachers who left recently, you can always try contacting someone that way.

I would look at the school profile if you to try to get some sense of the high school students' performance and where they apply/attend university. This will give you some sense of how strong their graduates are academically. This may be less than ideal, especially if you'd be working in the lower grades, but it would be something.

Though as a NQT, you really just need to make it 2 years. A lot can be endured for that length of time, but each person's limit is different. Good luck.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I have checked the paid side, but there isn't much (especially for CIS - no reviews at all). Good advice on checking local expat sites and where graduates attend - that will help.
Rye

Post by Rye »

Apparently there is a Facebook site for international teachers as well. Can't hurt to check and see.