Waiting to hear back but you have an offer

ibrahim123

Waiting to hear back but you have an offer

Post by ibrahim123 »

Hi everyone!

How do you handle when you have interviewed for two positions, one of which has given you an offer and would like you to respond in three day. The other (top choice) said they will let you know by the end of the week.

I want to hear what my top choice school is going to say but also do not want to shoot myself in the foot by declining the other one. Would you just ask for an extension (is that reasonable)?
josephine

Re: Waiting to hear back but you have an offer

Post by josephine »

I would ask for 5 days instead of 3 days for the first school, and I would ask the other school to respond within 3 days instead of one week. That way you have time to review both offers, reflect on it, sleep on it, and make an informed (not rushed) decision. I did something similar and the school thanked me for letting them know and said they would comply with my timeframe.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Almost all schools would want to know you have an offer on the table. That does speed up their process! Mtell the other school about the offer and tell them your time frame for decision, and see what they say.

Good luck!
prince15

Post by prince15 »

Ibrahim123,

I was in basically the same position as you. I e-mailed my first choice ( I had already in been contact a bit) informing them that I had an offer, but that I wanted to work for them first. In the end, I got an actionable response.
ibrahim123

Post by ibrahim123 »

deleted