Contacting Schools

MIS

Contacting Schools

Post by MIS »

This was referenced briefly in another thread, but without any answers, and I feel it's important to know one way or another. As a member of Search Associates, is it advisable to contact schools through Search or through one's own email?

I've been emailing schools my CV and resume while making them aware that my references are online. I've received two emails from directors who have actually accessed my Search information, one from a prestigious Tier 1 school in Europe to which I didn't even apply. I think the reason I'm getting good results from Search is because I have really strong references.

With that being the case, I'm starting to think I need to start emailing schools through Search instead of my email. Initially I assumed it was best to email the information since that's what they seemed to require.

Which approach is actually the best? I assume there's no 100% tried and true preferred method, but I wonder what people's opinions are on the matter.
skonamaj1

Re: Contacting Schools

Post by skonamaj1 »

There is definitely right way to do it, but I have always been bold in my approach. I don't know if that is the right way but I try every maneuver I can to land the position that I want. Sometimes it backfires, but I always ending getting a good position at the end of the day.
prince15

Post by prince15 »

In my 3 years of experience, I would say that about 90% of my success of having the invitation of an interview following my application was during job fairs. 5% for using e-mail directly and 5% for using an agency (Search, TIE).
MIS

Post by MIS »

What I mean is, when I see a job posted on the Search site, I generally contact that school through my own email, not through Search's message center. Is it advisable to contact Search schools through Search or through one's personal email?
LadyCanuck

Post by LadyCanuck »

Usually I contact schools trough my personal email, unless it is specified on the search site to contact them through their messaging service. I make sure in the email that I indicate that I am a member of search and give my reference number and associate. That way I can also attach at resume and cover letter a little more customized to the school and the position.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I would suggest that there IS no right way to do it. I think it depends on the person at the receiving end of the email.
Some people say that if you email through SEARCH--some schools have the word "SEARCH" flagged for their inboxes, so that email does NOT go in the junk folder. I dont know if this is true or not.
I emailed every single school that I was interested in working at, from my personal email. Simply because I did not like the look of the email sent from the SEARCH email. I like to be in control of how the email appears.
I also made sure I applied EXACTLY how I was told to apply. If the posting said " apply with CV nor more than two pages" I made sure my CV only had two pages....etc.
I dont think it is a big deal either way--do what feels comfortable. Perhaps--a mix and match approach?
Rye

Post by Rye »

I applied through my ISS account and then followed up through the school website, as a lot of schools have a specific procedure for applying for a position through their HR page. So I can't say which was "the one" that got a reply, but I think it isn't a bad idea to apply through SEARCH and the HR page of the school site itself (if they have one - if not, email can't hurt)