Mental Health Medication

leaddoll

Mental Health Medication

Post by leaddoll »

So there is a pre-employment health check that has to be done.
Is it ok to mention anti-anxiety medication, eg Prozac, or is it possible that they would cancel the contract if that was mentioned?
Flyingpigs

Re: Mental Health Medication

Post by Flyingpigs »

Do you want to work for a school where they are so behind the times, judgemental and autocratic that they would not honour your contract because of mental health medication? Isnt that the same thing as not hiring a diabetic? or someone who needs blood pressure meds? or wears a cast? Now, that being said--it happens in the western world too--guess that's why there are laws against that kind of discrimination now.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I'm with flyingpig. I would just disclose it on the relevant forms.
I think there are two issues here. The opinion of the school and the circumstances of their insurance. I doubt the school will bat an eyelid. After all, they interviewed you and gave you the job. However, you will have to accept the health insurance which may or may not cover the meds.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Your pre-employment health check is to see if you have HIV, TB, Hep, or sexually transmitted diseases. They will not be testing your blood for prozac.

But, you should be checking. Is prozac or other mood-altering drugs available in your new country? Are there doctors experienced and western trained/enlightened who you might see? What is the level of overall medical care?

Then, only you can decide on the following: Have you been overseas before? Are you familiar with the kind of stress and strain that comes with going overseas to a new country with new ways of doing things and perhaps no central places to go, meaning you have to find out where everything is and continually go around to small shops for this and that? Add in dealing with students who may or may not be challenging, and may or may not be from a culture which doesn't really like you or value you all that much. What will that do to your stress level? Will it affect your performance and your relationships with colleagues and students, let alone admin?

Only you can answer those questions. Good luck!
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

Hi as Shadowjack mentioned, check if you can get your meds in the new place, and if you can, also check the cost. My friend gets theirs in their home country, a years supply, as they were so expensive here and there he can get it on prescription for a fraction of the cost. Also the health insurance wouldn't cover it here.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I wouldn't mention it. After all, even in the west you wouldn't disclose that to your school so why do it overseas? That being said, make sure you have enough medicine to last while you are over there. Like others have said you don't know what is available. I know in Kuwait they wouldn't dispense Prozac because of it being a "controlled substance". However, you can get your doctor in the west to do a six month prescription and that should be fine. I have brought my prescriptions with me (six month supplies) and it was no problem. I just think you should not tell anyone because it's not really anyone's business. It would be nice if all schools were up to date and know that some people have a medical diagnose and need those prescriptions, but that's just not the world we live in.
leaddoll

Post by leaddoll »

THANKYOU for your responses. I'm inclined to leave it off the form, but the bit of reinforcement is good. My medication is not Prozac but something similar and it seems to be available in the respective country over the counter. I'm not too concerned about whether the local insurance covers it because it does seem to be available.

What do you do about medications that are not available? Bring them with you??
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

If it's a prescription that's not available definitely get a six month supply and bring that with you. I travel back to the West over the winter break so then I get another six month supply, but I think your primary care doctor would be able to refill it for another six months given your situation and then have a friend or family member ship it to you. I haven't done that because I know there's tons of red tape to getting a package with a prescription in it, but I know people where I'm at who have done it. As long as it has the prescription bottle, your name and everything you should be fine. The teacher at our school who had this had to explain to our driver what the prescription was for and then he had to translate to the customs people, but it eventually made it's way to her. Personally, I also like to stock up on over the counter medicines I may need. I know most places have similar brands, but if you're sick it's nice to have the brands you always use. I just stock up and bring them in my suitcase.
National

Post by National »

Depending on the country, you can often times bring up to a year's worth of a prescription. I would look into it and if it is allowed, I'd bring an entire year's worth so you don't have to worry about shipping or having to go home at Christmas. I've lived in three different countries and two of them allowed a year's worth to be brought in at a time. The third had everything available, so it was unnecessary. Also, depending on your health insurance, you can get the year's worth covered. If the insurance covers your home country, you usually just have to ask your doctor to write it out on the prescription that you are moving overseas and need the prescription filled all at once and then the pharmacist puts the request into the insurance company.