getting a job with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children

sk

getting a job with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children

Post by sk »

Hi out there,

Could anyone with experience tell me the honest truth of how likely it is I'll get a job with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children. Any ideas? Any real stories?

Thanks.
National

Re: getting a job with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children

Post by National »

The only time I've seen this is when the school doesn't provide any of the "extras". If they don't pay for your housing or flights for dependents, it doesn't really cost them anything extra (except maybe insurance). I have a friend in the same situation in Western Europe, but she doesn't receive the extras for the family and they use the state health insurance. Also, only one of their kids is school-aged. I am not sure how many kids could go to the school tuition free. Many schools limit it to the number of teachers working, so you might only get one kid at school free.

The only option to look at might be QSI. I've known them to hire a single teacher with three dependents. They will cover housing, flights, and tuition for all of your kids. Your spouse would be extra for health insurance and flights.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

I have a non-teaching spouse and 3 children, and am just finishing my second year in an international school in China, and have just extended my contract for 2 more. I think your chances will be affected by what subject you teach and how experienced you are, If you have excellent references etc. You won't be spoiled for choice as many schools won't see you as a good fit. when I decided to move into international teaching I had interviewed with only 3 other schools before my current school. A school interested in hiring someone in our situation isn't looking for the cheapest hire, but for adding some stability to the faculty. They will see you as someone who is likely to stay past the initial contract.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

By the way…. my school does cover housing and tuition for 2 children, luckily my third child is still an infant. But healthcare and flights are my responsibility. So financially, you won't be as well off as a teaching couple or a single. That being said, we still have a good quality of life and manage to save a bit and take a major vacation in the summer, something that was not happening when I was working at home.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

New review of Concordia in Shanghai - they cover, but seek practicing Christians of all faiths comfortable with their ethos.

They cover tuition for 3 kids - but the non-teaching spouse might be a deal killer. That is four non-supportive people for one support person. Economically, not that great.

Perhaps your wife could certify?
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

i should have been clearer…. my own healthcare and flights are covered by the school, but not my dependents.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

"I have a non-teaching spouse and 3 children, and am just finishing my second year in an international school in China, and have just extended my contract for 2 more. I think your chances will be affected by what subject you teach and how experienced you are, If you have excellent references etc. You won't be spoiled for choice as many schools won't see you as a good fit. when I decided to move into international teaching I had interviewed with only 3 other schools before my current school. A school interested in hiring someone in our situation isn't looking for the cheapest hire, but for adding some stability to the faculty. They will see you as someone who is likely to stay past the initial contract." quote from tdaley

We have and are currently. I agree that it is probably because the school is looking for stability. During our last job search, at every interview, the interviewer was very excited that we stayed 8 years at our last school. It's a positive to be stable. One of the biggest negatives of international schools is the turnover of staff and students. Honestly, that was the most important reason for us putting our kids in local school instead of our international school in our last country.

Our current school covers health care, flights every contract but not housing. Here, we are struggling compared to China. We had bigger better bennies before. Of course, we can breath and see the blue sky here, every day:)
skonamaj1

Post by skonamaj1 »

I have some friends doing this right now; it is possible. Your earning potential will have to be more, and in order to gain enough money, and you might have to think about some locations that others would pass up. Also if you are a qualified teacher for an in need subject area this too might sway the decision in your favor.
sk

Post by sk »

Thank you all for the feedback. My situation is the following- I have been offered a job with flights,accommodation,tuition and healthcare for all of us covered by the school. Since this is my first offer,I'm not sure if it's an opportunity not to be missed or whether I should sit it out to see if any better offers come our way? I'm new to this which is why I'm relying on you guy's experience.
If we don't accept,would that be a big mistake..?
The school is indeed in Asia in a country perhaps not highly sought after.
Thanks in advance for your responses!
National

Post by National »

Hi sk,

My advice would be to take it. The odds of another offer with all those benefits covered coming up are slim. Less desirable locations can be an adventure and pave the way for more desirable locations in the future. Good luck!
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Very nice, I think you should jump right on that offer.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

if you are wondering about the reputation of the school or if the package is good, start another thread and ask. if it's in China i could give you advice, and if in another country, i am sure there are others here who are knowledgeable.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

North Asia, South Asia, West Asia, East Asia? Give us come clues!
Artrageous

Post by Artrageous »

Hi at my school in China there are some families in your situation, and housing, uniforms and tuition are covered for the three kids, but only one child is covered for flights. Your deal sounds very good if all three kids are covered.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

If the offer is in a country where you feel safe, take the offer. The recruiting season is winding down. The odds of you getting an offer with similar benefits in a better school/country is pretty low.