getting a job with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children

teller

Re: getting a job with a non-teaching spouse and 3 children

Post by teller »

While I concur with most of the people on this thread that you should most likely take this job given your family situation, I do want to point out a few things to consider from a family perspective…

How bad do you AND YOUR FAMILY actually want this? Are they packed and ready to go (mentally, not physically of course)? Kids excited to be leaving their friends and family and changing schools? Spouse OK with not working and potentially being homebound for two or more years? If not, you may need to rethink this.

What is the academic quality of the school and does it have a mainly national or international student body? Remember, you're not just a teacher, you are also a parent of children who attend this school so you play two roles. What curricula does each division follow? Is the school accredited? High staff turnover? There are many international schools of "questionable" quality where teachers ./socialize/travel more than they work. Not much of a problem if you don't have kids at the school--big problem if you do (times three in your situation). Also, the more international the student body the easier the transition will be for your children into the "culture" of the school. If the student body is 80-90 percent national, your kids may have a much harder time adjusting and fitting in (again, times three in your situation). By all means check the paid section of this site for reviews of the school.

As your spouse will not be working, what will his/her quality of life be? Any chance for him/her to work at the school or obtain a job in the city? Remember, even if your job is stellar and the kids are happy with the school, your spouse will be on the "outside looking in" in many cases. Does the city have a significant expat community where your spouse can participate?

I understand that it is only a two year contract. However, given your situation and the difficulty you're having in securing a job, don't think it will be any easier the second time around. Plus, you don't want to be moving your spouse and all three of your children from city to city, country to country, every 2-3 years if you can help it.

Again, ask how badly you AND YOUR FAMILY want to take this huge step. There is a "grass is always greener" mentality that can come into play here. Do you think that might be the case? Previous posters are correct in saying that you will not have as many opportunities as other teaching families so when offers come your way, especially the one you've mentioned, you'll need to take them seriously. That being said, don't take the position simply to work overseas and don't settle with a school or city with major problems. Your family will pay the price.

You absolutely should contact other teachers currently working at this school (especially those with families) to get as much information as possible before making this decision.

Also, identifying the country would help all of us on this forum give you a better perspective.

I'm not trying to be negative, but I am trying to be realistic given your situation. Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck and keep us posted!