THE VALUE OF IB EXPERIENCE

prince15

THE VALUE OF IB EXPERIENCE

Post by prince15 »

I recognize that lots of people are talking about IB schools, so I thought I'd start a thread where we could discuss the value of IB experience in more detail. For example, IB teachers could share why they continue to remain committed to teach at IB schools while non-IB teachers could share why they want to gain IB experience. It would be most helpful if posters shared their main reason as suppose to listing many.
Mr.C4ke

Re: THE VALUE OF IB EXPERIENCE

Post by Mr.C4ke »

My main reason: it's international, the curriculum as well as the ethos.

The IB world school I work in employs teachers from many different countries. There is no dominating ethos aligned to a particular country, I like that.

I feel like I am working in an international school rather than a/an "add country" school in an overseas setting.
Rye

Post by Rye »

I sought out an IB position this year, mostly because I have taught AP's for so long I wanted to refresh the material and try something new. I was lucky in finding a school that was starting their IB program, and thought I was worth the investment. I love my subject area and I love teaching, but it was time to mix things up a little bit. I am greatly looking forward to a new way to approach my subject matter.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

It is not just the content knowledge, but the knowledge of the IB rubrics and understanding how to communicate them to students. With most of the rubric/criterion descriptors being written at a college level, it is vital that you, as a teacher, know how to communicate what the rubric actually means and what the process is to achieve the desired outcome. Along the way, you also need to be able to answer questions with questions and to guide your students in their inquiries.

It isn't for everyone, especially the MYP program, which, if done well, does an excellent job of preparing students for the IBDP. Sadly, that is not the case everywhere.
prince15

Post by prince15 »

This is my 3rd year teaching. I will be going IB next school year.

Honestly, I still don't know much about IB. And at least initially, I felt there was value only because many educators and recruiters give it such great praise. It was like high school where pathways like engineering were held in a higher light.

Now, I realize the confidence in my own pedagogy has grown to a point that I feel mature to take teaching to a higher level.

Basically, I just saw value in it because it's so prestigious initially, but now I see value in it because it's the next natural growth in my teaching career.