Canadian International School of Beijing

prince15

Canadian International School of Beijing

Post by prince15 »

Anybody have any current info on this school? Search shows that the net annual salary is $25000 and they provide housing allowance. Is that salary too low?
Monkey

Re: Canadian International School of Beijing

Post by Monkey »

Super low. The big schools in Beijing pay more than double that, plus provide a housing allowance.

Others might disagree, but IMO, Beijing can be a difficult place, and not one I would move to for only 25K.
prince15

Post by prince15 »

Monkey,

What are the names of some of these big schools? Would you take a low salary if it were an IB school?
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

ISB and WAB will be two of the schools that would pay 2x 25,000 at least. That salary is ridiculously low, one that almost sinks the level of a well paying ESL school. You don't mention whether that is pre or post-tax which could also take bite out of it.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I'd say that WAB (Western Academy of Beijing) and ISB (International School of Beijing) are widely regarded as the two biggest, and the ones I know the most about. I've also heard good things about Dulwich, but I don't know their package info. The Nord Anglia British school is also big and pays decently, but it's a for-profit.

I should clarify that you could probably live fine on 25K plus housing, but I don't know that you'd save much. Personally, I wouldn't do Beijing without a larger salary. But some people love it. If you're just looking to do your 2 years, get some IB experience, and move on to better things, you could do worse.
prince15

Post by prince15 »

Overhere wrote:
> ISB and WAB will be two of the schools that would pay 2x 25,000 at least.
> That salary is ridiculously low, one that almost sinks the level of a well
> paying ESL school. You don't mention whether that is pre or post-tax
> which could also take bite out of it.

Overhere,

I mention in my first post that it's post-tax.
HeyTeacher

Post by HeyTeacher »

You couldn't pay me enough to live in China, especially Beijing with all the pollution. Unless you are completely desp and face unemployment, I'd take the offer to work at the Canadian School for a year or two. Just bring lots of pocket masks and learn Chinese. Make the most of it since its getting the most of you.
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

Prince15, I sent you a PM...
prince15

Post by prince15 »

Gengrant, I replied.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Beijing is not that bad. Even the lower schools pay much more than that. It is a very nice school, but if you are not a young Canadian teacher forget about the pay, you won't be hired anyway.

Tons of schools in Beijing!!
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Briz wrote:
> Beijing is not that bad. Even the lower schools pay much more than that.
> It is a very nice school, but if you are not a young Canadian teacher
> forget about the pay, you won't be hired anyway.
>
> Tons of schools in Beijing!!

Not necessarily true. I know a non-Canadian who was just hired there. Anyone with IB experience is competitive.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I met a bunch of CISB teachers my first time around in Beijing and they told me they do have a few non Canadians, but that the school primarily focuses on hiring Canadian teachers (most of them were from a certain region too). So my blanket statement might have gone too far, but for the most part I still stand behind what I said. I very much stand behind the pay staement. BIBS,BWYA,BIBA etc are 1.5x's that salary. BCIS,BNDS,WAB are all over 2x that salary and ISB may even be 2.5x that salary. It is in a great location 1/2 way between Lido and Sanlitun, so a great night life can be had, but that salary will be restrictive to anyone wanting to save, or who has a mortgage or other payments.