Asking about salary/package

chilagringa

Asking about salary/package

Post by chilagringa »

When is it cool to ask about the salary and package? I wouldn't want to waste a recruiter's time if I couldn't afford to work at a school.
tdaley26

Re: Asking about salary/package

Post by tdaley26 »

I think during the interview is the appropriate time to ask. Asking prior to that appears presumptuous to me. On Search each schools site gives sample salaries for points on the pay scale, so you can get a ballpark estimate before you apply.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Personally, I dont think asking at the FIRST interview is appropriate. I believe that when you are considering multiple offers, or an offer is forthcoming, you then have to know what the deal is, and its fair to ask about the package at that point. If you have a second or third interview and an offer is imminent, I would ask then.
I wouldnt worry too much about wasting the recruiters time. Every interview is a learning experience...and should be seen as such.
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

Are you signed up with Search or ISS? If so, you have access to that information and should at least have an idea of the salary range. I had a good idea of the salary/package of each of the schools with whom I interviewed. I agree that it is not a good idea to ask about salary during the first interview. Though we all know it is important, the interviewer wants to hear about your passion for the students/teaching and not you asking about the money. Good luck!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

I'm not on Search. I've had enough nibbles from TIE that I think I'm going to stick to that for the time being.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

I would wait until the end of the second interview. Asking before that sends the wrong signal. Most schools that are interested will provide basic information during the second interview.
Briz

Post by Briz »

There is no set way of doing this! I have asked right at the beginning of the first interview. It had nothing to do with the amount of money, it had to do with how European schools are different from those in Asia. The pay is structured differently because the packages are different. An administrator would be hard pressed to fault someone for wanting to make sure the package fit, you do not need exact numbers for that. Typically Search will give it to you, but the schools I am talking about are topping out at 70+, but with huge taxes. If you end up with 22k (or live in a country where you cannot support yourself, or wife and 3 kids etc), shouldn't you know that before you pour your soul out for the interview. Too many people forget that an interview is a 2 way street, you are interviewing them also! Don't come off like a money grubbing moron and asking about money is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Upon some further thought, I still think that I would bring up any questions I had about the package at the first interview. That being said, prior to the interview, I would attempt to find out as much as I can through these types of forums.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Depends of course on the situation but I have always asked at the (first) interview. Never been a problem if the question is framed in the right context. They should have nothing to hide and it gives both sides more information to help make the right decision. They have seen your CV/resume and have access to personal information about you? Just ask them. Nicely.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

I think its brilliant that there are so many different view points on this question. It just goes to show you that there is NO right or wrong answer, and it would totally depend on the context, the recruiter, the way the question is asked--or not etc etc etc.
The fact that there ARE differing opinions out there, must give comfort to all that ' you just never know' and to go with your gut.
In some cases it would be fine to ask, in others perhaps not! Dont sweat it if you ask, and dont sweat it if you dont ask. It all depends.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

Indeed, and as you said in a previous post, every interview is a learning experience. On both sides. The head/principal/ whoever is recruiting is often less experienced in this respect than the interviewee. The one who expects non- standard answers will grow faster as an interviewer.

If you care about the money, ask them how much it is.