New To International Teaching

sofiarose

New To International Teaching

Post by sofiarose »

Hi,
Is there anyone I can ask about a job offer in Brazil. Pay seems low as I have been told, but I'd like to clarify since I am new to this. Thanks
Flyingpigs

Re: New To International Teaching

Post by Flyingpigs »

Pay is not the only thing to consider. A more important criteria is cost of living? Pay in Europe is fairly high, but the cost of living is fairly high--so saving anything is probably not going to happen. Pay in India ( for example) might be lower, but the cost of living is fairly low--so what looks like a poor salary actually goes much further than the high salary does in Europe.
What is the cost of living where you are going? What additional perks are there? Housing? Flights? etc.
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

I have read the cost of living can be equivalent to european standards. Basically, there is medical but prescriptionsI have read from other teachers have to be purchased by you. They do provide round trip transportation andI read that they find the cheapest airfares with lots of layovers. There is a 1200 relocation allowance. The salaryis about 26,000 us dollars with 12,000 stipend for living. The apartment is paid. Basically, I have tried for a longtime to get a job. I have been to over 5 ISS conferences, I have 17 years experience and 3 licenses. This job was all I could get and only after two others declined. Im not about money or superficial but I also dont want to be stuck as I do have bills here. I dont understand whyI am not considered for other positions.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

What is your licenses or experience in?

Any dependents?

Applying all over the globe or in one or a few areas / countries?

Been to teaching fairs?
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

I am licensed in Prek-6 general education
Prek-6 Gifted Education
Secondary Edication 7-12 (enlgish language arts)
I have only been to ISS teaching fairs but for 5 years.
I have great recommendations
I have over a decade experience.No dependents.
I basically put my CV in about 30 recruiters maliboxes.
I am now exhausted.
I see kids who just graduated getting jobs that I applied for.
It's quite frustrating.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Are you applying to openings around the globe (of all tiers) or focusing on a particular country or region?

Additionally, why are you only going to ISS fairs? You need to branch out a bit imo.

sofiarose wrote:
> I am licensed in Prek-6 general education
> Prek-6 Gifted Education
> Secondary Edication 7-12 (enlgish language arts)
> I have only been to ISS teaching fairs but for 5 years.
> I have great recommendations
> I have over a decade experience.No dependents.
> I basically put my CV in about 30 recruiters maliboxes.
> I am now exhausted.
> I see kids who just graduated getting jobs that I applied for.
> It's quite frustrating.
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

I should branch out. It gets exhausting. I don't know now if I will be blacklisted. I can try TIE and search I suppose. But, will he stop me from getting a job elsewhere?
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

The school itself is Pan Anerican school De Bahia. Reviews aren't good however I question those. Has anyone actually worked there? Thx
lemonlily

Post by lemonlily »

Why would using different resources for job searching black list you?

You can be a member of search and of ISS and go to their fairs with no problems, as far as I know. TIE is only a website where schools post their openings. Then you apply directly to that school.

The only way to be "blacklisted" is if you accept at job with a Search school and then you renege on the contract.

Am I wrong? Anyone care to elaborate?

Going to different fairs and being a part of different websites does not line you up to be blacklisted, but rather just opens your doors a bit wider as you can see much more schools that are advertising their openings.

And sorry, I know nothing about that school.

eta: I think that salary sounds good, imo. 38k per year, with housing entirely covered? Not a bad salary, but I don't know much about Brazil.
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

No, I gave a yes email. However, then questioned the salary. So, for some reason he is going out of his way to convince me the salary is good, its not 38k a year. It is 22K-July-Jan, 43k, jan-Jan, 22k July-Jan.
I wonder if through a yes email if one is blacklisted though Im not entirely happy with ISS anyway.
KellyGuy

Post by KellyGuy »

sofiarose, did you ever get your questions answered?

I worked at that school and broke contract to leave, and don't regret that decision much.
sofiarose

Post by sofiarose »

You are kidding? I didnt get blacklisted. Thank God I didnt take the job. It seemed wrong.
So sorry that happened to you