How does your health insurance package compare?

jstwatchin

How does your health insurance package compare?

Post by jstwatchin »

As we evaluate the packages we are offered, one benefit that may not get a lot of detailed attention is the health insurance package. Some contracts simply state "Group health insurance" without any more explanation what this entails. So what DOES it usually consist of?

- comprehensive package for the family, including dental, vision, disability, valid worldwide?

- comprehensive package, but only for host country (or some countries excluded, most notably the US)?

- you pay for family members at discounted rate?

- stop-gap measure with a low annual cap, no direct pay, no dental (never mind vision), valid only in host country?

If only a basic policy is part of the contract, are you able to purchase add-on at a discounted rate?

Just trying to compare apples to apples here...
mysharona

Re: How does your health insurance package compare?

Post by mysharona »

Our's is valid worldwide, but does not include dental or vision. We pay different co-payments depending on which hospital or clinic we use and we have a $250/person deductible right off the top ($700/family). We have asked about dental but the premiums are out of this world. I think the most important part of a policy is where does it cover you? If its only in the host country then for a good portion of the year you would have to buy travel insurance which wouldn't be great.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Our insurance is good worldwide, and includes dental but not vision. I do not have children, so I didn't read the fine details of that section of the policy, but it seems like they are fully covered until the age of 18. My deductible is also $250, but overall the plan is much, much better than what I used to have when I worked as a government contractor back in the US.
jstwatchin

Post by jstwatchin »

So it looks like there is quite a lot of variance, but policies tend to cover worldwide (including US)? My question not is, what could you do if you are offered an otherwise desirable job (location, other benefits, type of school etc.), but the insurance does not quite measure up - as in, it's basically just hospital insurance? Is there any possibility of adding on? Sorry, but I have heard a couple of horror stories lately...