Landed a dream job, I'm pretty sure, but now ignored by HR

Mr. Miller

Landed a dream job, I'm pretty sure, but now ignored by HR

Post by Mr. Miller »

Greetings everyone, this is my first post. I am fresh out of teacher college, so was very lucky to sign a formal letter of intent on the first day of the UNI fair. I was told this is "the contract" and thus did not speak to any other schools at the fair other than to politely decline their interview invitations. I had a Skype interview prior to the fair, and so meeting this school at the fair was a formality and a way to provide all of the documents required for my visa.

About a week after the fair, I sent an email to HR to basically check in, ask if they were satisfied with the visa documentation I provided, and outline some of my housing preferences (as I was told HR would help me find housing).

Dead air, and it has been about a week. I am signed to begin in mid-March or early April to fill in for a maternity leave (with two full school years beyond that) so time is of the essence. The work visa window is incredibly tight.

I am thinking of writing an email to the principal whom I spoke to most at the fair and the Skype interview. Should I be worried? Is a letter of intent the standard contract signed at fairs? Would the school at least let me know if they had buyers remorse and were not really planning on having me?

About the only error on my part that I can think of, is I did not leave a proper thank-you card for the school after signing for the position. I feel I was always gracious and polite in our interactions, which seemed rather relaxed and informal on their part. I have, however, sent a card by mail (highly expedited and expensive). I know that the letter cleared Mexican customs last Friday, but have not been able to track it since. So, one last question:

Should I email the principal right away to know where things stand? Or should I wait for her to receive the card and hopefully get in contact with me?

Thanks for any and all advise for this situation.
Briz

Re: Landed a dream job, I'm pretty sure, but now ignored by

Post by Briz »

Calm

Then write the principal. Check your spam mail too.

Schools at these fairs are there to hire you. If you are headed to China, they are on New Years break...

Sure it will work out
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Last edited by escapeartist on Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Miller

Post by Mr. Miller »

Thank you Briz and espaceartist for your responses.
schoolcounselor

Post by schoolcounselor »

I am sure they will contact you, but the wheels often move slower than we would like...especially in Mexico. Have you been in touch with the person you are covering maternity leave for? I would encourage you to reach out to them with a simple hello to start the transition and give you something else to think about while the other stuff gets sorted.

The HR dept at my new school (also in Mexico) happened to mention that the head was out of town all last week following UNI, so it's reasonable to think that the person that hired you was away until this week and the HR dept is working through all the new hires the director brought back paperwork for...

Also, don't be afraid to pick up the phone :-)

Breathe.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Ohhh poor you...its ok. Dont over think this so much--not leaving a 'Thank You" card is not going to jeopardise this for you.
Your agenda isnt theirs, but a signed contract is a signed contract. I would email the person that you were hired by, and cc the HR department. Thanking them, saying how exciting you are to be working there, and what do you need to do next, as time is of the essence.
Rye

Post by Rye »

First of all, congratulations on getting a contract. I hope you find what you are looking for internationally.

It is easy to invent a lot of reasons why you haven't heard back (I've done it!), but in reality it is most likely nothing to worry about. There is no harm in sending an email saying "thank you" and that you are excited to take the next steps towards getting your visa etc.

If you signed a contract they are working on your paperwork, but not every country/school works at the same speed. Check in and get your reassurance! Good luck!
Mr. Miller

Post by Mr. Miller »

Thanks all for the further advice. I've sent an email to the principal and will be in touch with the teacher whom I'm taking over for shortly. I'll update this thread later, but I'm feeling far more relaxed about the situation now.