Emirates National School

TTB

Post by TTB »

Good luck, scottr. Go to work for ENS. You'll soon be singing to a different tune. I'll put every penny on it.
Danda

Post by Danda »

I think Hermine is kidding. I hope Hermine is kidding.

"it is in the nature of things that it is only the truly polarising entities that are doing something challenging and hence worthwhile"

That is hilarious. Do you include entities such as KKK, Al Qaeda and Mugabe's Zanu-PF .? They are all very polarizing and so must be "worthwhile." Sign me up to work with them. They must be doing something right.
ozman

This place sounds like hell on earth

Post by ozman »

I have no inclination to take a job at this school. I just would like to put it on record that it is really great that this website exists. Without it, I don't see how poor old teachers would have a voice.

It seems like there are many international schools in the Middle East where parents and their treasures are running the school; where teachers are treated like slaves of the Pharoah.

Hermione and that following blogger who gave details of where to lodge applications are clearly stooges. I don't see how anyone with an IQ greater than their shoe size could possibly be fooled by this for even a second.

The fact that the admin of this school are logging on with pseudonyms to put up farcical arguments against the overriding onslaught of negativity is just laughable. They seem like children building sandcastles on the shoreline in order to prevent the tide from coming in.

They seem to think that they may be actually fooling someone, which says something about the regard with which they hold the international teaching fraternity.

I once was lured overseas to an awful school in the UK, so it is refreshing to find a forum where the facts can be shared without censure.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Scott and Hermine I'm somewhat tickled by the thought that either or both of you, as teachers, are going to turn ENS or any other school around.

I trust you'll keep us posted on the progress you're making, we'd love to celebrate your successes with you.
Hermine Ryan

Post by Hermine Ryan »

That reference to Al Qaeda was rather harsh but I take the point. I was just trying to say that great projects, even ones demanding significant optimism, tend to draw wildly divergent opinions.

It sounds like ENS needs a frsh input of committed educators having, as it were, lost some of its educators' commitment along the way (due to whatever mistreatment they have received).

As a Christian I believe in redemption; I'm sure ENS cannot be as black as has been painted. Maybe my plan is to allow some colour, some shading, back into their educational picture: indeed, some light.
Traveller1

Post by Traveller1 »

Hermine, unless I've missed something, the term and concept really pertains to individuals, or perhaps the Jewish people in the Old Testament, rather than a school.

You have talked about going to ENS and turning the school around. I don't know anything about your background or experience but unless you are an extraordinary individual, with incredible stickability, you need to be absolutely clear about what you're jumping into before you go.
ally

ENS

Post by ally »

When I started ENS, I was one of the 80% new staff that started that year, when I left I was one of the 80% who left.

ENS gets new dedicated staff each year it has been in exsistence and every year the Arabic admin treat them badly. It does not matter how professional you are, how positive you are, or how dedicated you are.

When I started at this school I actually knew it had had problems with staff and was prepared to 'give it a go'. I am a very positive and professional teacher who thought I could turn a negative into a positive.

It's difficult to describe the nightmare of this school. The monitoring and reporting of conversations, the absolute incompetence of resource staff in being able to get resources to classrooms, the unfair working practices-being sick at this school was a nightmare, working with admin staff who had absolutely no educational qualifications but knew it all, and the thing I found the hardest, their complete lack of respect for western staff. We were treated like idiots whose every move needed to be monitored, we were not to be trusted. The new arabic staff were actually told by admin. not to trust western staff.

This school will always have the problems it has until it replaces its admin staff with internationally qualified and experience staff.

Beware, as a teacher at this school, no matter how hard you work, how professional you are, how dedicated you are, you will not be trusted or respected.
educator

Re: Teacher Seeking Position

Post by educator »

[quote="Hermine Ryan"]Having read all the posts here I am very keen on joining ENS. I know from experience that a school attacting such a volume of complaints MUST be doing something right; after all, it is in the nature of things that it is only the truly polarising entities that are doing something challenging and hence worthwhile.

I am going to apply for a post at ENS. I have many years teaching experience and would love to turn such a school as this around through a POSITIVE ENGAGEMENT with it.

I have heard much about Abu Dhabi, too. It sounds like a fascinating part melting pot. Please mail me if you know who to contact for jobs.[/quote] :shock:

Good grief! What absolute drivel! Laughable, were it not wandering into the realms of the deranged. Yet thank heavens that at least there is a forum for teachers to discuss these topics, without fear. "...truly polarising entities...". The Nazis were quite good at accomplishing that job description.
ozman

Post by ozman »

Quoting Hermione: "I was just trying to say that great projects, even ones demanding significant optimism, tend to draw wildly divergent opinions."

I really don't see any wild divergence in opinion. Absolutely everyone is saying the same thing: Steer clear!!

The only source of divergence seems to be coming from the admin of this "school."
specialed

Post by specialed »

I keep seeing ISR conspiracy theories pop up. For a simple person like me, please name the "admin" who are posting. You can just post their user names instead of using their real names. I would like to know who these "admin" people are and have them defend themselves!
carlenss

Admin

Post by carlenss »

ENS900 is definately admin from ENS
scottr

ENS

Post by scottr »

TTB- I didn't say I would work for this school,- just that I would have in my younger years.

I will reiterate my point. Without caring, compassionate and committed staff this school will stay in the same shape as it is now- bottom of the heap. It will take time for this school to improve- but it should be given the chance to improve. Otherwise you're just saying "this school is a lost cause" and moving on from there. There must be good members of staff at this school. I cannot imagine for s second that everyone is evil and out to get you. If that is the case- then my apologies- but I can't believe that is the case.

As for Admin monitoring the site- it is fairly obvious to me that this is the case- teacher's aren't stupid. I would like to insist however, that I am not one of them. I know I can't prove that, but, oh well!

Lets look at the positives++++++++++++++

+ good facilities
+Abu Dhabi
+ the school looks spacious
+ you can teach what you want- regardless of subject expertise
+ you can say you worked at one of the toughest, if not THE toughest, International School in the world and you made a difference
+ you don't need to be a qualified teacher to work there- and "gap year" teachers appear to be welcomed

+ you get to travel the world and work
carlenss

Reality Check

Post by carlenss »

Take a reality check.

School started in 2002.
Much the same arabic admin staff in place since start
Constant turnover of western teachers who have nothing but negative things to say about admin

mmmmmm conclusion,

If you are Arabic and get a job in the admin side this could be an OK job.

If you are a western teacher, you are likely to be like the 80% of staff that left the year I did, very unhappy and glad to leave.
Crespo

ENS

Post by Crespo »

What about all the negatives of the school? The negatives are bound to outweigh the positives.....

Anyone who agrees to work in this school must be living in cloud cuckoo land....

And Hermine...you MUST be admin.....
Crespo

ENS

Post by Crespo »

Also, any school that lets you "teach what you like" can't be that good,can it? There's versatility and versatility. I teach TOK and Philosophy-does that mean i can teach science and maths?