Emirates National School

foreign07work

The Black Death

Post by foreign07work »

OK, now it's getting funny. Just like "The bag of onions" story, now "Avoid this school like the plague" is chic.
Some teachers have signed their contracts. Were we brainwashed, beaten and/or otherwise coerced into doing so?
Like most schools, this is a work in progress. The future depends upon those here, not those malcontents who have left in a huff.
PTTeacher

Post by PTTeacher »

yeap... just saying "avoid this school" is not enough for the people understand what is wrong there and to make their decisions.

Try to be more specific next time people, but I got the picture... ;)
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

[quote="foreign07work"]OK, now it's getting funny. Just like "The bag of onions" story, now "Avoid this school like the plague" is chic.
Some teachers have signed their contracts. Were we brainwashed, beaten and/or otherwise coerced into doing so?
Like most schools, this is a work in progress. The future depends upon those here, not those malcontents who have left in a huff.[/quote]

Yep. I agree mate. People like "garnettulip" (who says she no longer works at this school) yet insists on
coming back on this forum time and time again
to criticize the place must have serious personal issues.
Let it go and move on !
TTB

Post by TTB »

PTTeacher: People have said MUCH more than just "avoid this school". Read the specific examples. Pay for your membership and read the reviews. Or even have a look at the comments on TES staffroom forum.

Foreign07work: You know you are in a very small minority.
PTTeacher

Post by PTTeacher »

TTB: Did I say that I didn't see any good replies? No! As you can see... the last ones is only like this: "avoid it" ... "don't go" ... blablabla, I'm just telling that this means nothing.

And no, at this moment I don't want to pay membership. I try to get what I can from here, but thank you very much for the advise, it was very helpful :)
foreign07work

Enmity, Not Solace

Post by foreign07work »

Ah TTB, it's lonely at the top...
intlveteran

Post by intlveteran »

I have worked in many schools over many years. Some schools have been truly excellent and some have been pretty awful. The majority of these schools have been reviewed and/or dicussed on this website at one time or another, and all (save one, perhaps, due to unusual circumstances) have been very accurately and fairly described indeed.

Of course, we all have different experiences and therefore different opinions about the schools that we work in. However, over the course of my career I have learned to become ever more prudent with my job choices, and especially so when it comes to working in the Middle East (yes, I worked in several countries there over several years).

Although it is true that one person could hold a grudge against a particular employer and spread bad press like wildfire, but when I read negative comments over and over again about a certain school - and also - I hear specific stories to back these comments up, I know enough to keep well away, even if only just as a precaution.

Remember: There's no smoke without fire.
Crespo

emirates national school

Post by Crespo »

We are a teaching couple who have recently been offered an interview for work at the ENS.

Just to say thank you to this forum and to others for ABSOLUTELY convincing us NOT to go to this school.

We have researched the school in some detail and even did an "on the spot" call to the school to speak with a teacher. She told us (quote) that the school was "pure hell" and that she had already handed her notice in (after surviving 4 months). Teachers crying all the time/being bullied and threatened seemed to be the general theme. We called the CIS who confirmed that staff turnover was worse here than any other international school in the last 3 years.

She did however say that Abu Dhabi was good, it was just the school that was a living hell.

The school has not improved, and search and CIS will no longer allow it to recruit at their fares.
Crespo

Post by Crespo »

One final thing. When we asked the recruiter how many teachers had left in the last 3 years- she said 1.

All other conversations and information we have picked up goes VERY much against this answer.
carlenss

ENS has no morals

Post by carlenss »

I worked for ENS about 2 years ago and wrote to this site warning others. I was working for another company in Abu Dhabi and just recently had to fly out quickly due to my father being hospitalised and not expected to live.
I then found out this school had put a ban on me and was demanding nearly 6000 dirams if i wanted to leave the country. I visited the school and explained my situation to the director, no he insisted on the 6000 dirams, he wouldnt listen to me, just kept insisting that I had left the school illegally.
i have never read anything negative about this school that has not been correct.... don't go there.
ENS900

Post by ENS900 »

I work in this school and yes things are not perfect, far from it. But to trash the school with lies is not something I hate even for my worst enemy. Some quick facts

- School is opening another new campus in the city and they are looking for a large number of teachers to fill the positions. The school lost % 20 last year and from asking around I think the same percentage is going to repeat this year. A little bit more than normal but not as stated in some previous posters.

- The visit from the CIS was done by invitation from the school Admin not the other way around. It was one way the school was trying to open a dialogue with teachers to solve issues in the school. You don’t need to take my words, check with the person who showed up from CIS, Jim McKay [jimmckay@cois.org].

I just wanted to give some input to all the trash that is being written about my school.
ENS900

Post by ENS900 »

carlenss:

You worked for the school for 4 months only, and you ran away during midyear break. You didn't cancel your visa with the school and as a matter of law they have to report you. Please state the whole story first
carlenss

Post by carlenss »

I left the school with full knowledge of admin. When I visited the school, they could not find my file or my letter of resignation but insisted I done the wrong thing. Why don't you let the forum know more about your position in the school. 20% is way under what really happened in that school.

But this forum tells it all, you are really the only positive voice among all the negatives.
ENS900

Post by ENS900 »

What was your position in the school, how do you know what is the real number is?

You are asking the question about my position because you know that I’m stating facts. I’m putting the email of the person who visited us from CIS. The school was in the last CIS job fair held in London last month, you can check that yourself.. I’m stating facts that can be verified what are you offering?
carlenss

Post by carlenss »

You are not stating facts... You accused me of running away when I left with full knowledge of admin.

I know about what happened at ENS because I stayed in contact with staff.

Ens shows up at a job fair, it doesn't change what the school really is. A place to be avoided.