What are the advantages of an IB school for the students?

prince15

What are the advantages of an IB school for the students?

Post by prince15 »

I'm very new to the International Baccalaureate scene, but I wanted to know what the advantages are for students which finish the IBDP versus students who graduate from international schools that have, for example, a Canadian curriculum?

In my currently Canadian school, students mainly enter Canadian universities upon graduation, but some go the states and some go to Europe. Is the IB curriculum only different for the way a student "learns"?
sitka

Re: What are the advantages of an IB school for the students

Post by sitka »

Practically?

University credit is often awarded for HL courses.
If a student moves frequently, the curriculum is consistent between countries (at the DP level).

Pedagogically?
It is more rigorous than most national curriculums (at the DP level).
Arguably more student centred.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Top students in HL courses are often able to skip prerequisite courses or introductory courses thus saving time and money. Of course IB schools tend to cost a lot. I have also witnessed students coming from IB backgrounds seeming to be more prepared to deal with the rigors of university better than someone coming from a good public school (US).

As an international teacher you have to deal with the perceptions of parents. Currently they see it as better able to help their students get into university, so in essence it has become the preeminent choice. There are still plenty of A-level and AP schools out there. There are definite and distinct advantages to those also!
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

The IBDP is a widely recognized curriculum, and many(most?) national university systems allow students to enter with a IB diploma with sufficient results and the necessary pre-requisites. For instance, UK or US universities areiky going to more familiar with it than Alberta's provincial currircum.

I would agree that it's generally going to be more rigorous than most national curriculums, though in some cases you can find national curriculums that are comparable.

The IB certainly has a particular educational philosophy with it as well. The IB is structured so students must choose subjects in at least 5 of 6 areas. This structure doesn't work well for all students. A number of schools offer another diploma along with the IBDP so students can take individual exams to earn certificates in the subjects they take and still earn a US/Canadian diploma.

I would advise against students trying to move from one school to another in between the first year and the second. Though theoretically one can transfer schools that offer the same IB classes, there are problems. There are lots of different IB courses and schools may not offer the same courses. Scheduling can mean a student can't end up taking the classes they need. Finally, although the exams are internationally administered, individual teachers can cover the material in a different order so a student who moves schools may find that their new class is working on subjects they already covered and they didn't cover something at their former school that was covered by their new class.