Will 3 schools in 3 years or 1 year gap hurt job prospects?

stevec311

Will 3 schools in 3 years or 1 year gap hurt job prospects?

Post by stevec311 »

My wife and I are a teaching couple looking to go overseas next year. My wife was recently told that she will be laid off at the end of the year due to school downsizing. The same situation happened at her previous school. Therefore, she will be looking for another job next year before we go abroad, meaning that she will have taught at 3 schools in the last 3 years when we apply. She is also considering staying home with our 2 children.

Will either of the above scenarios hurt our chances of being a competitive teaching couple?

Thanks for the advice.
Last edited by stevec311 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Briz

Re: Will 3 schools in 3 years or 1 year gap hurt job prospec

Post by Briz »

Some schools might only look at your resume and dismiss, however an excellent personal statement should overcome initial difficulties. Just be prepared. Good luck
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

I don't think it will hurt you. I was in a similar situation where I got laid off each year for three years in a row. It was all because of the economy in the States and being the last hired I was the first to be laid off. That's just how it is done. I included that fact in my cover letters and it was a natural lead-in to how I felt the time was right for me to try something new, meaning international teaching. I played up my excitement about that new endeavor. A good cover letter can really help to get your CV looked at. The situation did not end up hurting me because there's nothing you can do when it comes to downsizing and most schools hiring understand the situation. If you're working with a recruiter just make sure they know exactly how the US lays off teachers(with the last ones hired being the first to get cut). Good luck. Also, being a teaching couple helps because all schools love to get couples, two for the price of one so to speak.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

One more thing. I'm not sure it would be wise for her to take a year off now right before you want to go overseas. In my opinion, that could hurt her more because she wouldn't be actively teaching. I know it's just one year, but I think it would be better for her to try and teach one more year. I could be wrong, but it just seems better to have both of you actively teaching when you are being recruited.
prince15

Post by prince15 »

I think it would hurt your prospects: A teaching couple and one dependent becomes a teacher and two dependents.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I'd say chance your arm and get recruiting. Maths and Physics are high demand subjects and your experience has got to count for something. I'd say everyone in the IS community is aware of the situation in the US. Leap into action and get your ducks in a row with regards to recruiting materials and get out there. You never know! Good luck!