Re-posted jobs?

optimistia

Re-posted jobs?

Post by optimistia »

I need some advice in regard to following up with schools I scheduled interviews with at the Cambridge fair. School #1 sent me an email before my interview stating they had filled the position and needed to cancel, which is totally understandable. I attended the interview for School #2, and I think it went really well, but they sent a follow up email the next day saying the position had been filled. Again, this was totally understandable. Both positions were taken off Search that night.

Yesterday, however, both of these schools updated their profiles and added jobs for the exact same position the interviews were for. In fact, School #1 added two positions! Both are on the larger side, so it makes sense that they could unexpectedly have something new, but I am trying to figure out what my next move is.

Should I email them to remind them I am still interested, or should I assume they will contact me if they want me since they already have my information? There seems to be a fine line between appearing "on it" and appearing desperate, and I definitely don't want to come off as the latter.

Thanks!
heyteach

Re: Re-posted jobs?

Post by heyteach »

I would definitely contact both schools and mention you had been scheduled for/had completed an interview, saw that the job was reposted, and you are still interested in the position. With School #2, you might bring up some pertinent facts from the interview to refresh their memory and demonstrate your continued interest.
Rye

Post by Rye »

A friendly email reminding them you are still interested would be a great idea along with reapplying if SA allows you to. They are busy moving a lot of pieces around so a nice reminder that you are available and you were scheduled to speak with them would be good for both you and the school.

When you email the second school just mention some stand out things from the interview like heyteach said - jog their memories.

I hope the second time around pays off!
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Not to be a downer, but it definitely sounds like a "don't call us, we'll call you" situation. If they cancelled your interview and then posted new positions in that same field it doesn't sound like they were that interested in you. No offense, you just might not have appeared to be the right fit on your application. These things happen and there are still tons of jobs out there. Don't get discouraged. However, like the others said, it doesn't hurt to email them to tell them you are still interested and see what happens with that.
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

This situation reminds me of the other thread about whether or not you should CALL a school.
I dont think it hurts to email, what do you have to lose?
If they are not interested, they will just move on to the next candidate.
However, they DO have your information, and in fact scheduled you for an interview--so they know you are out there and what your qualifications are--it wasnt like they missed your resume in the 100's that they have received.
I get that you are curious though as to WHAT THE HECK JUST HAPPENED???!!!! Its so hard not to take this kind of stuff personally--we just dont know what goes on behind the scenes....so my vote is to keep plugging away and being friendly, courteous and inquiring with ONE email.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Optimistia,

contact them. All they can do is say, "Sorry, not interested."

But what often happens at fairs is couples or singles are offered positions, given time to think about it, possibly verbally accept, and then go away and another offer comes up or they reconsider, leading the school to post the same positions again. After all, when a school thinks they have landed the candidate, they stop interviewing. Why waste time.

My present job was offered to half of a teaching couple. Fortunately, I am ambidextrous and my school hired me to fill a position that wasn't named. I really liked the sounds of the school and the director was awesome, so I accepted. A month later I get an email telling me I would be filling the job I originally interviewed for, because the teaching couple decided to go elsewhere.

So...go for it!
optimistia

Post by optimistia »

Thanks everyone! I sent a brief message to both schools expressing my interest, and I guess I will see where things go from there. :)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Keep us posted!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Yes, go for it! So much of what I've learned after going through this whole process is just throw your hat in the ring and give it a try! I had no international or PYP experience, am not part of a teaching couple and I landed a job at a Tier 1 school my first time out. Just put yourself out there. As the other poster said all they can do is say no. Then you just move on and keep trying.
optimistia

Post by optimistia »

Both schools responded and said they were looking for someone with more experience (I only have three years), but the tones of the emails were very friendly, so I don't think they minded me contacting them.

In happier news, I got a great offer this morning from a school that wasn't even at the Cambridge Fair, so it all worked out in the end! :)

Thanks again for the advice!
prince15

Post by prince15 »

Optimistia,

Was the school who offered you a job, still registered on Search? If so, did you apply to their opening or did they contact you? Did you accept the offer? ;)
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

YAY! Congrats!
optimistia

Post by optimistia »

@prince15 - The school and the opening were on Search. I sent them my cover letter and CV when the job came up, but I used my own email address, not the Search messaging feature. I haven't said yes yet, as they are sending me the contract to review, but I will say yes as long as there are no surprises :)

@Flyingpigs - Thanks!