How bad is Mexico?

MedellinHeel

How bad is Mexico?

Post by MedellinHeel »

Ive been to many countries in LA, some that many think are / can be dangerous i.e. Colombia, Brazil, El Salvador, Guate City, etc. Never had any issues or felt in danger.

Even still, Mexico makes me a little uneasy. I am wondering how is it really?
chilagringa

Re: How bad is Mexico?

Post by chilagringa »

If you felt fine in Guatemala, you will find Mexico more than fine, especially if you are away from the northern states.

Unless, of course, you're applying for a particular job I have my sights on in Mexico, in which case it's a dreadful, dangerous place ;)
yelsol

Post by yelsol »

It depends heavily on where you are. It's a huge country. Most of my family lives in the Yucatan Peninsula (Cancun, Playa del Carmen...lots of expats and tourism down there). I go down every summer and travel freely with my young daughter. There have been some issues with drug cartels and killings but nothing that has rocked the area. I have other friends who travel throughout Mexico pretty frequently, another who grew up in Los Angeles but family lives in TIjuana. Tijuana has gotten a pretty bad rap (I would argue, rightfully so..) but he travels to TJ fairly often. The best advice I would give is to make sure that you research the area your traveling to thoroughly, talk to people who live there.

I think there's a tendency for the media to exaggerate conflict in a country. In Mexico's case, the stories aren't always exaggerated and there are definitely parts of the country that I would avoid mainly because I have a child now (I was a bit more adventurous before she was born). But again, Mexico is a huge country. It's not easy to assess how bad all of Mexico is.
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

If you didn't think Guatemala City was bad, then Mexico should be fine. There are really only four states that are considered dangerous for foreigners: Chihuahua, Durango, Coahuila, and Tamaulipas (all located on the U.S. border). I live in the north of Mexico (Monterrey to be exact) and have been to Durango and Coahuila and haven't had problems since I've been here. No pickpockets, no muggings, nothing. Most homicides in Mexico are due to drug violence and not towards foreigners. Be smart when you travel throughout Mexico, and you should be fine. Check out the website below for more statistics:

http://howsafeismexico.com/index.html