International Day Costume - What should I wear?

Dawson

International Day Costume - What should I wear?

Post by Dawson »

My school will be celebrating international day soon. Students and staff are encouraged to wear traditional clothes from their country. My problem is I don't know what to wear. I'm from the United States and there's not a traditional outfit, at least none that I can think of. The only thing I can think of is a cowboy type costume, but that's not really my style and I'm not from a state that has cowboys. I want to do something more than just a t-shirt with a flag on it though. Any ideas?
shadowjack

Re: International Day Costume - What should I wear?

Post by shadowjack »

Brooks Brothers or something bespoke?
Flyingpigs

Post by Flyingpigs »

Maybe a combination of things? A native head-dress for the native american; Ray-Bans representing Hollywood, brooks brother shirt representing Ivy League and cowboy boots etc....?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

If you enjoy sports - why not the jersey/t-shirt of a team you like? On UN Day one of my friends where's an NFL jersey.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

denim
Last edited by escapeartist on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Those are all good ideas. Thanks. Not quite sure what I'll go with, but those are all good. I kind of like the jersey thing, especially with a baseball cap because that ties in to the exact city I'm from. Thanks.
DeDee

Post by DeDee »

Not sure where you are from but how about a t-shirt and jeans with the name of the place. I'm from the South and if you are too- what about t-shirt, khaki skirt/pants, flip-flops and pearl necklace if you are a woman. This is classic South Carolina wear- lol!! If you said more about where you are from it might help with suggestions.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

Iowa. Thinking of a John Deere baseball cap with a flannel shirt and jeans.
wntriscoming

Post by wntriscoming »

Hilarious, Dawson! If I had those items, I'd consider wearing them for our International Days! John Deere...my grandpa worked for them in the 50's and 60's.

In the summer, I hit the sales after July 4th for some Americana stuff I'd never wear any other time unless paid. Claire's Boutique has gaudy earrings, red/white/blue hair "extensions," necklaces, etc. I find that, along with any solid red, white, or blue shirt and some jeans pretty much decks you out as an American.

I think if you go the jersey route, an "American" themed team like the Patriots or the Yankees or a U.S. national soccer team jersey make more sense than the Packers.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Damn you are lucky to be American! I'm British and I'm sick of dressing up as Queen Victoria! LOL