Have you heard from your new school?

vincentchase

Have you heard from your new school?

Post by vincentchase »

Just wondering how the contact has been for those signed up for a new school. I haven't heard anything since signing the contract at the Bangkok Fair. I understand they may need some time to get things in order before getting the ball rolling on the logistics side of things. So will likely wait a few more weeks before making contact myself.

How has the post-contract signing contact been with your new school?
Briz

Re: Have you heard from your new school?

Post by Briz »

Most schools should have been in contact by now. Even schools in China would have sent something before their CNY holiday. I once thought my new school wasn't contacting me after the fair. It turns out they were frantically trying to reach me, everything was going into my spam mailbox. They even called my head of school to see if something had happened to me... Comedy. Check there, then email right away. Getting started on visa processing is very important and a good contact reason.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

HR Director has been in touch with all new teachers and we've gotten the ball rolling w/ visa forms, formal contract, etc. since the Bangkok fair. She's been up front about having to attend the fairs after Bangkok w/ the rest of her admin team and they just finished the Lunar New Year holiday so it might take time to get back to us if we had any questions. I've also been in touch with my future head of department via email.

Do you have a point person to reach out to? I would email them sooner rather than later. Visa processing, etc. takes time and it's better get it started now earlier on in Semester 2. Before you know it, it's time to leave your current post!
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

My current school has a new hire Facebook page and all the newbies have been asking questions. My new school has a new hire google+ page for the same reason. The HR director of my new school says things will really start rolling in March.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

I would go ahead and contact the school rather than wait a few weeks. Last year when I did not hear from my school within a week, I emailed and was immediately directed to the HR director. My paperwork and documents for my visa were due to my school by mid-March in order for them to be processed in a timely manner. A few weeks could mean the difference between taking care of your obligations in an organized way versus scrambling around at the last minute to get things in the mail to your new school (and expediting copies of documents or overnight mailing can be expensive).
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

You definitely need to keep in contact with them and make sure everything is progressing as it should. I got burned once a few years back because I was switching schools within the country I was in so no fairs or recruiters were involved. I signed an agreement (unaware at the time it was not a formal contract). I just assumed they would take care of switching my residency. HUGE mistake on my part. It was maybe in April and I didn't keep in contact with the school. The end of the school year came and I went to them to find out what was going on and switch the residency. Turns out they thought I had moved on and wasn't going to be going there since I hadn't been in contact with them. Homer Simpson D'OH applies here. So from my bad experience I say have a person you can keep in contact with and just check periodically to make sure everything is getting done. Happy ending for me - after a harrowing summer search I was able to land a job due to a last minute resignation at a school I am very happy at. I definitely don't want to go through that again though.
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

Agree with all of the above: Check your spam, call HR. I was hired mid January and have received and sent documents via Fed Ex and will hopefully be sending my background check (police report) in soon. Housing and tech have been in contact as well. Depending on what country you are currently in, some things can take a very long time.