ISR Compared to other school review sites.

Tiff

ISR Compared to other school review sites.

Post by Tiff »

I've been looking for the real nitty-gritty on some schools. I found CIS and other forums/school review web site and I see they don't mention names. One site even warns against saying negative things about schools and administrators. I just found ISR in a search and see that they let teachers really dig in and post what's really going on at these schools. If I want to know how many books a school has in the library or if there is a bus to school or free food in the cafeteria I can find that out at the interview or in the ISS guide to schools. What I need to know about is how the teachers really feel about the place and what actually going on that's going to affect my life. Is ISR the only site that's willing to let teacher tell the truth about some of these schools? I'm sure there is legal issues here that maybe some sites are afraid to deal with.
Michelle

Re: ISR Compared to other school review sites.

Post by Michelle »

Hi Tiff, I usually don't post but do off and on. I will try to answer your question. I've been overseas for years. I first discovered ISR in 2006 and frankly I was shocked at what these teachers were saying on line in the Pay side of this web site. Off and on you'll see that ISR posts threat letters from school attorneys along with reviews of the school. So to answer your question, I'm sure there are legal issues involved in letting teachers say what they want. As I remember, it even says on the pay page when you join that some of your money goes for legal advice. Lawyers are like smog in my opinion - you wish they would go away. I would guesstimate that ISR has their fair share of "smog" hanging around. I think these other sites temper what teachers are allowed to say to avoid legal issues. I look at the other sites to see what's there but when it comes to getting the information I can depend on it's been ISR that I trust. Good luck in your job search. Get information from various sources and then make up your own mind.
PsychBean

Post by PsychBean »

Hi Tiff,

I so appreciate the paid portion of the site. My first school there was negative reviews about it and took it with a grain of salt. Only to realize it ALL was TRUE!!! Some things didn't phase me while others were just horrible. So now when I research schools I go to the paid portion of the site, then blogs then I will ask here. More so than not the paid portion has some of the good bad and the ugly! We need to know how life will be in our new schools and countries and I am so very happy that there is a site such as this one that is willing to let it all hang out, so to speak...
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

You really have to have good critical reading skills to get anything out of a lot of the "reviews" on ISR. I too was shocked when I first started reading them and wondered if an overseas job was for me. But when I went back and reread them with a more critical eye, I understood that a lot of the writers came across as misfits or whiners who would have difficulties fitting in anywhere. Look at the kinds of things they complain about--are they petty, unimportant things (my favorite was the guy who had to use a cardboard box for a wastebasket), or substantial (like consistent comments about being paid late)? Are they complaining more about the city than the school? Are they relying on hearsay to back up their complaints?

Any good school with a confident administrator will give you contact info for the person you're replacing, or someone else within the school.
Tiff

Post by Tiff »

Hey this is great -- I posted my question about an hour ago and I already have three replies. What I would like to know is there any other sites like this one I can go to that lets teachers really tell the truth about schools. I have found sites that have reviews but they are like the fairy tale version of these schools. The school I worked in Kuwait has super bad reviews on this site which is in line with my experience there, and some of these other sites show the school to be really okay. I know they are banning some posts and this is doing a real disservice to teachers who could end up at one of these hell holes. Is there another site similar to ISR I can also consult?
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Hey Tiff,

There is a web site that I've seen that is just one long page and the owner lets teachers say what they want. I don't think they remove anything. I can't remember the name. It has a black background, I think. You'll know it if you find it. Other than that I would go along with the thought that these other sites, although useful to some extent, have so many rules that they really just allow for a fairy tale version of these schools, like you said. I agree that it is really deceiving teachers and it is possible y dangerous for teachers when they don't get the true picture. I trust ISR to let us speak our minds and warn our colleagues.

Keep up the search...you can never do to much of it . You could also post specific questions to this forum about a school.
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

I have found that the best way to learn about a school is to connect with teachers that work/have worked at it via social media like LinkedIn, Twitter, Google Plus & Facebook. I used those to research all of the schools that I was interested in. You can get a lot more info that way. You can also learn a lot more. It's not anonymous. People are generally willing to answer your questions and you begin to build connections. I even got an interview with a school after a few email exchanges with one of their teachers.

I like to say that I am a source, but not the source. Same is true for this site and with others. Never rely on one source of info. Never be nervous about reaching out to current staff members. If you don't hear back after sending out a few emails, well that tells you something also.

Good luck!