Please help me from getting discouraged!

antlia7

Re: Please help me from getting discouraged!

Post by antlia7 »

cyndioeo wrote:
> I'm 44. I'm not 80. Don't think age is an issue. But thanks for making me
> feel old.
>
> Thank you, heyteach, for clarifying that tier "system". It was
> throwing me off a little. And thank you for the support. I do consider
> myself very lucky that I have a great job already in the US. I've just
> wanted to do international for a really long time and decided it was time
> to go for it.
>
> And to be honest, all the rejection would have been so much more difficult
> as a new teacher. I would have really wondered what was wrong with me. I
> know I'm a good teacher and have confidence in myself, so the factors that
> have led to me not getting a job yet have nothing to do with that. They
> just haven't been good fits or someone else has a different
> perspective/style than me that fits the school better.
>
> Good luck to all of us!

Well...if you feel old at 44, I should be feeling to be ancient at 55! So, you are not alone!!
Yes, unfortunately, there IS discrimination and lots of it; not only of age, but also of color and 'accent'. Like yourselves, I have about 25 years of teaching, including at least half overseas, under my belt, yet I keep battling with rejection due to discrimination of age, color and accent. None of these, very unfortunately, is changeable or 'upgradable' in one's profile. Most of the 'International' schools in my humble opinion, are not about providing the best education. They are there either for profit or as embassy related enterprises. If the school is for profit, they only try hiring the younger/more energetic crowd, as that makes their profits bigger. Younger teachers are also more comfortable with the newer technologies to use in the classroom show. Moreover, younger teachers are considered more 'flexible' for the management (meaning that they can be professionally bullied)! Embassy/company related schools try hiring teachers from their own countries/communities first. The third loose category is the IB schools, which also can be non-profit or State Department related. However, many if not most of the IB schools are also for profit, using the IB programs only as their selling point. There are some true IB schools out there who are looking for quality more than anything else. That I believe should be your target.
I think, I must qualify 'for profit' schools here...in my view, there is no harm in a school selling education as long as it conforms to higher standards of educational output. In reality, most such schools generally care more for their bottom-lines than their educational goals, thereby hiring younger teachers. Not necessarily the best and experienced in their respective fields but nevertheless, less expensive on the payroll costs!