Please help me from getting discouraged!

Flyingpigs

Re: Please help me from getting discouraged!

Post by Flyingpigs »

Hiya
I get your frustration...and you are right, its very hard not to take it personally, isnt it? Try not to though....at the very least its unhelpful and at the most--its not true.
For what its worth--please bear in mind that often the decision is based on factors that have nothing to do with you--and more about for the needs of the school....something that is completely out of your control. Who knows how the BIG PICTURE WORKS? Maybe you would be too expensive? Maybe they want a teacher of a specific gender? The list of behind the scenes information is endless--and we arent privy to it , but its there for sure. As someone already pointed out, but it bears repeating--there will be a lot of shifts and vacancies available when the dust settles--so keep doing what you are doing, and keep having hope. It will happen.
cyndioeo

Post by cyndioeo »

Thank you - I do know that I made the top four applicants for a fifth grade position that had over 50 applicants, and the Headmaster wrote me a lovely note after my second round interview with the principal (on the phone). And of course, that was the job I was really, really wanting. But you're right - who knows the particulars. Thanks for all the guidance and support! Tomorrow is another day!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

cyndioeo,

If you are applying for elementary positions, here is the reality. 1. If schools are hiring for a math, science, or other high needs area, they hold the elementary positions because often the spouse is an elementary position. So if they hire YOU, then they can't hire the IB Math/Physics teacher they really want because their top two candidates have spouses who teach lower primary and upper primary.

For all of us who are successful - it is luck of the draw in many cases. I have friends who are very very very (yes, that very!) good teachers. They have gone recruiting and never even gotten an interview. I remember at fair last year seeing people break down under the stress of no interviews and facing unemployment for the next school year. It is a tough business.

BUT...as SA tells the candidates at each fair - most of the hiring takes place AFTER the fair. Admin goes home, crunches numbers, see who withdraws from consideration, and finalizes hiring, usually by the end of March, but sometimes later. My friends I spoke about got a job offer two months later, and are still employed internationally.

Never give up hope. My current job was offered to another candidate at fair last year. That candidate eventually decided to go elsewhere, and I ended up in the job. Thankfully the school had hired me to teach something else because they really liked me and Mrs. Shadowjack and were willing to hire a trailing spouse/teacher in training .

Chin up, keep contacting schools, watch TIEonline, stay in touch with those great schools by sending a follow up email expressing how impressed you were with them and if an opening came up...

Good luck everybody!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I'm 49 (turning 50 this year) and landed a great job in a Tier 1 (if you will) school. Sorry to those that didn't...just a bit miffed at the person who said it may have been an age issue. You have to find the school/person that wants you...you will!
Rob

Post by Rob »

After leaving a very good school in Singapore after 18 years at the age of 61, I decided to venture out for a few years and teach in other countries. I taught in three schools in Jordan, Egypt, and Vietnam, and recently called it quits at the age of 67. In all three schools I was hired after May. My point is, you will be hired, even at some very good schools, if you are willing to wait. As a first overseas hire, you might find it difficult.

It's been my experience in 38+ years overseas that administrators all write great letters of recommendation, even if the teacher is mediocre. I think the actual phone conversation with the administrator trumps the letter of recommendation. Just my opinion.

PS- I'm glad I got into the overseas teaching a long time ago (1970). The market was a lot less competitive. The teacher could choose where he wanted to go, and it usually ended up that way. Nevertheless, hiring goes right on through until August, the month I was hired for my last school.

Rob
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

Rob what avenues did you use to get these jobs so late?
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

Hi Cyndioeo,

first of all, I'm 45, have 14 years of IS experience, went to an earlier fair and am only now getting anything resembling interest. At the fair, I was offered 2 interviews and got nothing. Applied to a fair number of schools since, and had nothing for a few weeks. And all of a sudden, this past week, have been offered 3 interviews (one in a school that I'd applied for back in December and heard nothing back) with schools in completely different areas of the world. All three schools would be great for me and the family (wife and 2 children), each with a different draw. No "Tier 1's" (as far as I know), but all great schools for different reasons based completely on my situation.

Having only moved schools twice before, what I've learnt is that I have always ended up where I was meant to. Maybe not where I WANTED to be but definitely where I was meant to. The first time, I had a job by early January; the second time, it took until mid-April; this time, the only reason I've been contacted by the December school is that they MAY have a part-time position for my spouse (IF they accept the fact that she is an experienced, NON-certified teacher in her field); having 2 children an a non-teaching spouse is a tough sell nowadays, but it IS do-able (I hope!)

So realize that there is a job out there with your name on it. I agree with most on here that we teachers don't ever know the "BIG PICTURE" that Admininstrators have to deal with. So trust that you will fit into somebody's big picture if you are willing to wait.
Rob

Post by Rob »

MedellinHeel , the last three positions I got, after 2007, was because of TIE and the "instant job notifications. I worked at a pretty good school in Jordan, Egypt, and finally Vietnam. All three schools hired me after May (two in early August). I just my last position at the ageof 67.

Rob
prince15

Post by prince15 »

Rob thats interesting how you were hired so late. I have always wondered how teachers handle looking for jobs after March. With the two schools I have been working with, I must let them know if I am returning. Rob, and anybody else who has been hired after March, did you tell your current school that you are leaving? The sound of waiting until August to get a job sounds nerveracking.
Dawson

Post by Dawson »

prince15 wrote:
> Rob thats interesting how you were hired so late. I have always wondered
> how teachers handle looking for jobs after March. With the two schools I
> have been working with, I must let them know if I am returning. Rob, and
> anybody else who has been hired after March, did you tell your current
> school that you are leaving? The sound of waiting until August to get a job
> sounds nerveracking.

It is very nervewracking. I didn't get my current position until July and I was on pins and needles. I thought I had a job lined up much earlier, but due to some last minute issues the job fell through. So I was left in May desperately searching for jobs. I used TIE and sent out tons of applications. I got very lucky and ended up at a good school that had a last minute vacancy due to a sudden resignation. It worked out for me, but I was preparing myself for moving to a country or school that I didn't particularly want to be in for two years so that I could get more experience internationally.
Rob

Post by Rob »

My attitude after 61 years of age was that if no school wants me, I'll do relief work. I actually did that for one year, and was kept pretty busy. However, for the other 6 years, I was hired after May. After being in one international school in Singapore for 18 years, I wanted to break free of long term commitments with one school, so for the four international schools I taught in after Singapore, I was there for only one year each with one year contracts. I got exposure to Egypt, Jordan and Vietnam. I taught my final year in a different school in Singapore before returning to the States to "retire" (maybe).

I'm still leaving open the possibility of teaching next year, but if I don't, it's fine. If you don't get hired until after June, it's good to have contingency plans that still keep you in teaching, whether it be subbing or tutoring. There are a lot of good teachers out there that are in the right place at the right time, and it's important never to take momentary rejections personally.

Just my two cents.

Rob
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Cindioeo, stay frosty! I agree that you will end up where you were "meant to be."
I only started in IS's when I was 35, and I am now 49. I start at a new school next year and so looking for jobs after that might get tricky, so I know how it feels on the age front. We hope to stay at the new school to graduate our kids, then after that our choices will likely be limited by my age.
However, I don't know of ANY school or country that actually bars recruitment of staff below the age of 50 (maybe Mongolia has the lowest limit?)
At some point in this whole process, some school is going to realise that they are desperately in need of someone just like you and they will be grateful to have you.
Whilst the "feeding frenzy" of recruitment happens around the fairs in January/February, there is plenty of recruiting done a long time after this. Personally, for singles, I think that March is the charm. Whilst schools will favour teaching couples in the first instance, their mosaic needs to be completed by a combination of singles and couples.
Your job is out there! Good luck and keep us posted. XXX
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Actually Mongolia doesn't really have a limit. Experience, flexibility, and a willingness to tough it out in a spot that not everybody is rushing to go to are necessary though. Met the director of ISU last year and he told it like it was to the small number of teachers who went to his presentation. From what I hear, he is a very nice man and the school is moving forward. So if you are experienced, but out of the running due to age elsewhere, it might be place where you are valued.
justlooking

Post by justlooking »

We're in a similar situation. Things are kind of heating up just now. I get little pep talks like these from my colleagues all day. As much as I appreciate it, it wears a little thin after a while. I know they're right and we'll find the right thing for us, but it's easy to fall into despair.

BTW, what Rob neglects to mention is that he is a highly experienced and very skilled physics teacher. Those guys can write their own tickets anytime of year.
journey61

Post by journey61 »

Personally I would encourage you to go to a fair. I heard the same things and was skeptical. I have 30 years of experience and was feeling the same way. I'm older than you (52 yo) so I don't think that has anything to do with it. Lots of CVs sent out and nothing but rejection. Signed up for the fair as a last ditch effort. 2 days before the fair all hell broke loose. Started getting emails requesting interviews BEFORE the actual interview day. Had 2 Skype interviews and 2 live interviews before sign up even started. Filled my interview "dance card" in 45 minutes at the "speed dating" part. The interview process was great. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and talking with so many different directors. It was a whirlwind and I landed my dream job at a PYP school in Europe and I have no PYP experience. In spite of what others say, I think you can't beat the face to face time with the directors. You CAN find a place. Be confident and put yourself out there!