Please help me from getting discouraged!

cyndioeo

Please help me from getting discouraged!

Post by cyndioeo »

Okay, this is my first venture into international teaching. I have 22 years of successful teaching in public and private schools. I know that my SA confidential references are impeccable (one administrator told me as much today), and my career has been highly successful. This weekend I had seven interviews. Every interview was incredible. I felt I had a great rapport with each interviewer, I was highly qualified for all the positions, and I thought I did everything I was supposed to. In addition, I was also asked to interview (based on my SA profile/references) by four other schools.

I was rejected for all seven positions. One told me that I was in the final four in a highly competitive market. I know that this is not a reflection on my capabilities; the right job just not has come to me yet.

But I think we all know that this can really bring someone down, no matter how confident we think we are! I am miserably upset! And I know there are many more possibilities, but I would love to know that I'm not the only one in this position instead of hearing about the multiple job offers apparently everyone is getting. Except for me. I am so happy for you (truly), but please tell me that I'm not the only one with no good outcomes from this job fair!
PsychBean

Re: Please help me from getting discouraged!

Post by PsychBean »

Hello Cyndioeo,

I would like to tell you firstly I don't have quite as many years of experience as you but have also been in this position. My first fair I had just barely 2 years experience and had about 4 or so interviews. ISS last fair in Philly. I thought I had a good rapport also and was told I was essentially in second place for one spot in Qatar (dream destination at the time) but didn't get it. I was a bit sad but happy I came away from the fair with good connections. 2 months later I received an offer from a school outside of the fair. It is still recruiting season and there is still a chance you will be hired. Please don't get discourage although it may seem discouraging.

Keep applying and keep plugging away. There are still several fairs and opportunities that will come up that will be the right fit for you...
MIS

Post by MIS »

Sometimes I wonder how much rhyme or reason there is to this stuff.

Five years ago with a year and a half experience I embarked on my first international teaching search. Didn't attend a fair, just joined Search and sent out my CV and cover letter for a couple months. That resulted in maybe three interviews, the last of which resulted in an offer from a tier one school in SA, which I declined. After declining I decided to end my search and focus on simply moving to another school here in the States.

Five years later, here I am with seven years experience, impeccable references, IB MYP experience, a licensure add-on of a much more high demand subject area than I had the first go-around, and I feel like I'm completely unemployable. It's the heart of recruiting season, I've sent out probably 20 CVs to schools of varying qualities, and I haven't so much as gotten a nibble.

So just know you aren't the only one. With limited experience I got the tier 1 offer my first go-round. Now I'm wondering if I can even get an interview with tier 2 and 3 schools. It's maddening. But I keep telling myself it's early, the market is flooded at the moment, and things will start to play out in my favor in February and March. One can only hope.

Just can't help but feel disappointed that I haven't heard from a couple fair schools that I really thought would at least grant me an interview.

Best of luck. The right job is out there, you just haven't found each other yet. It'll come.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

I'm feeling similar. I'm currently on my second international teaching position, but had 5 years ESL teaching experience prior to that. I've managed to add what I think is an impressive number of achievements to my CV, I've tailored letters to schools missions, I've researched individual schools for jobs (rather than waiting for a general advert on a big website), I've used contacts I have in the industry. I know my downside is that I'm expensive, with one child and a non-teaching partner. But I honestly thought with the work I've put in, and the experience I know have, that securing a position would be easy this time. How naive can you be?! So far, I've managed to rack up 4 interviews (from about 30 applications). I have been offered one job, but not the middle management role I applied for - it would be quite a big step down back to classroom teacher (I'm currently in senior management, managing a very large department), which I find frustrating as it's like I would be throwing away all my hard work to get as far as I have. So do I take the position I never wanted in the country which was bottom of our list or take the risk that something better will come up? Am really feeling the pressure with a family to support. You all have my sympathy.
Mac1030

Post by Mac1030 »

Keeping you all in my thoughts...hang in there and don't doubt that you are damn good at your job and anyone would be lucky to have you.

It's rough, I'm feeling it too and I don't have as much experience as most of you.
sunteacher

Post by sunteacher »

I know you can't help but feel rubbish and despondent about the job searching thing, but the percentage of people who find jobs at the recruitment fair is pretty low…I read somewhere! However, I was like you when I went to Search three years ago, but I got a job outside of a fair in March…so have a rest this weekend and start again next one!
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

what is your subject area? how many dependents? are you completely open to location?
cyndioeo

Post by cyndioeo »

Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement. I have heard that about the percentage being low at job fairs, but it's still disheartening, as you would think recruiters would want to hire people in person before people they just speak to on Skype or telephone. I have a great teaching job to go home to tomorrow, but, no matter how much experience and maturity one has, rejection sucks!

I am single, have no dependents, and am not willing to go anywhere but am open to many places. My interviews ranged from South America to Europe to Asia. I have certification in elementary K-8 but experience in 5-8, all subject at the elementary level but have been teaching primarily English and Social Studies for several years. I'm also certified in elementary music, although I didn't pursue that because it's been quite a few years since I taught it. I am also endorsed in gifted/talented. I have 22 years experience - 15 in public, 7 in private.

Please somebody explain to me about the "tier" process. Since this is all new to me, I really am not sure how that works and would love for someone to explain it.

Thank you so much, and good luck to all of us. Whatever is meant to be will be: that's how I have to think of it.
twimih

Post by twimih »

Cindioeo, I hear you! Hang in there! I just sent you a pm I hope might help.
MedellinHeel

Post by MedellinHeel »

hmm maybe age is an issue. very strange you havent landed anything...
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Cindi, there is no standard tier system; much of it is based on personal perspectives. I suggest you don't bother with it. My first school in SA I considered a 1, but some would rate it lower because of the package. Research schools and locations, decide what's best for YOU, and don't worry about a silly arbitrary number.

And do hang in there. We've all experienced the exhilaration of the fairs, thinking any school would be lucky to have us (even when it's true), and getting nothing. My last job I got hired for in April or May one year after turning down 2-3 firm offers from desirable schools (they just didn't feel like a good fit though the schools were solid). Just don't settle for something you might be miserable at.
cyndioeo

Post by cyndioeo »

I'm 44. I'm not 80. Don't think age is an issue. But thanks for making me feel old.

Thank you, heyteach, for clarifying that tier "system". It was throwing me off a little. And thank you for the support. I do consider myself very lucky that I have a great job already in the US. I've just wanted to do international for a really long time and decided it was time to go for it.

And to be honest, all the rejection would have been so much more difficult as a new teacher. I would have really wondered what was wrong with me. I know I'm a good teacher and have confidence in myself, so the factors that have led to me not getting a job yet have nothing to do with that. They just haven't been good fits or someone else has a different perspective/style than me that fits the school better.

Good luck to all of us!
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

Hang in there. Were some of the schools MYP? If so, do you have experience? The IB schools can be tough to break into. What can you offer for extra-curriculars? This can be a deciding factor for international schools. Unfortunately there are lots of middle school generalists out there and if your competition is married to a needed physics teacher, you don't stand a chance.

I write all of this so you don't take it personally. There are lots and lots of factors schools look at. If you hit it off with the schools they may come back to you later or you may see those administrators at another school in the future. Good luck!
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

cyndioeo wrote:
> I'm 44. I'm not 80. Don't think age is an issue. But thanks for making me
> feel old.
>

Don't feel old... while age discrimination at 44 sounds preposterous from our standpoint, age discrimination starts at preposterously young ages in some countries. It sucks, but it's the sad truth.

Anyways I bet you'll still get a job. The UNI fair was just this weekend too... Why don't you check out the schools that attended that fair and see who didn't fill their spots?
cyndioeo

Post by cyndioeo »

I totally understand that the age of 44 is old in some countries and cultures, but telling me it might be my age at a time when I'm already feeling crappy probably wasn't the best way to encourage me!

I do have some MYP experience, although it's limited. I am familiar with the program, have worked with it some at my former school, and I know the "language". So I'm not a complete novice. And I completely understand the hiring of couples. It totally makes sense.

I will keep on checking and searching, and if it's in the cards for me, it will happen the way it is supposed to happen.

Again, I wish everyone luck and thank you for the encouragement!